"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2021, 12:44 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chicken and dumplings raw dough

my dumplings is still raw on the inside even after cooking 40 min on high, they are made of flour, half and half or cream, and a little bit of oil and water.

duongz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

Can you give us the entire recipe? It would be easier to troubleshoot it if we have all the information.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

1. the boil the dumplings as stated above
2. i boil the chicken all the way through (meaning no chicken flavor left in the chicken ), i dont like alot of broth flavor in the soup.
3. put some left over broth from the boiled chicken, some of the dumpling water, and good amount of water.
4. salt, onion, half and half or light cream, some flour, pepper, and maybe some oil to step 3.
5. let it reduce until a little under medium thickness
6. add dumplings, let it reduce until medium thickness, turn off heat and add chicken.

no measurements, just eyeing it.
duongz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
Certified/Certifiable

Which kind of dumplings, i.e. little noodle style, or biscuit style?
Quantity of broth, i.e. how many cups?
Quantity, and types of veggies?
Dumpling dough recipe?

This is the info we need in order to help you. I suspect that you are making noodle-style dumplings. These will have a somewhat gummy texture by their nature.

Measurements, and recipes are equally important to technique. Here is a noodle style dumpling recipe that just works. When you are experienced enough, then you can wing it.

1 ¾ cups flour plus extra for dusting
⅓ cup shortening
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup milk
½ teaspoon salt

For better flavor, and less chicken broth flavor in your soup (I believe that's what you stated as a preference), cube the chicken and lightly sauté it until a lightly browned. Remove from heat. The chicken will be tender and juicy. Deglaze the pan with water and put that water into the soup pot. Add veggies, and dumplings. Cover; turn heat to simmer; and cook until tender. Add 1 packet Knox, Unflavored Gelatin to add body (luxurious mouth feel) to he soup. Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Season with garlic, salt, and pepper. Put soup into serving bowls. Distribute the chicken evenly into the bowls. Enjoy.

Seeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, dough