Chicken corn chowder puzzler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Just used some chicken stock, chopped up some leftover chicken breast and tossed in some corn. Before I thought about it I poured in some cream. Now I am thinking I'd like to thicken it a bit. How to do this without it "breaking"? Little bit of a cornstarch slurry and a lower heat? A bit of a roux that I stir in? How hot does it need to be to thicken and yet not break. Help?

Any starches used to thicken have to reach boiling point to thicken. If you used heavy cream, it shouldn't break. Bring the heat up slowly, stirring frequently to minimize hot spots.

Do you have any leftover corn? You could blend that with some of the liquid to thicken it if you don't like Andy or Jenny's ideas.

Potatoes!

Isn't the dairy added at the end of making a chowder? Were you at the end?

Yep I was at the end. I was just kind of in my own little world and didn't stop to taste test before I put in the cream. I'd usually do that and adjust for thickness then. I was just kind of...stunned. LOL. Oh and not a big potato fan. Thanks for the thought though. I think I'll keep that in mind for the next time I muck up!

Andy, I DID use heavy cream, so I'm going to take a chance and try to thicken a bit with cornstarch.

GB, all the leftover corn is already in the soup. Phooey. I like that thought too. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom