Chicken Green Chile Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Traditionally green chile stew is made with pork in these parts (Northern New Mexico). But for local benefits, street fairs, fundraisers, etc, you will always find frito pies and chicken green chile stew.

Here is the recipe I use to can my green chile sauce, AKA enchilada sauce.

Green Chile Enchilada Sauce – Bountiful Baskets Blog

This year I canned over 50 pints of this green chile sauce. I put a pint into every soup I make.

You can purchase this sauce in stores around here. Eric, I will look to see what company sells it. I don't see Herdez products here.

Beth, do you use a pressure canner?
We're at almost 4900 feet and I have not been comfortable doing the Water Bath Method of Canning.
I want to get a Pressure Canner, but I've used a Pressure Cooker in my life.
I was always afraid of them.

I was looking at this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Chard-DPC-9SS-Canner-Pressure-Stainless/dp/B00VTL8STO

Opinions?

Beth, do you use a pressure canner?
We're at almost 4900 feet and I have not been comfortable doing the Water Bath Method of Canning.
I want to get a Pressure Canner, but I've used a Pressure Cooker in my life.
I was always afraid of them.

I was looking at this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Chard-DPC-9SS-Canner-Pressure-Stainless/dp/B00VTL8STO

Opinions?
Just FYI, a pressure cooker and a pressure canner are not the same thing. Despite what the manufacturers say, the USDA has not tested electronic pressure cookers to determine whether they maintain the proper temperature and pressure for the necessary amount of time to safely can low-acid foods.

Just FYI, a pressure cooker and a pressure canner are not the same thing. Despite what the manufacturers say, the USDA has not tested electronic pressure cookers to determine whether they maintain the proper temperature and pressure for the necessary amount of time to safely can low-acid foods.
OTOH, you can use a pressure canner for pressure cooking.

+1

Yes, I use a pressure canner....this one

https://www.gopresto.com/product/presto-16-quart-pressure-canner-01755

I have pressure canned for decades. You must use a pressure canner like this to safely can low acid foods. I am at 7000 ft elevation and adjustments have to be made. Just check with your local extensive service for adjustment for your elevation, or google for the info. I think at first the process intimidated me but just read the instructions carefully, several times, before you try. You could trying pressure canning water in quart jars for your first try. I still read through the instructions that came with the canner at the beginning of each canning season. I think my desire to preserve my own garden produce helped my get over any fear.

Those look great!

Dh claims he doesn't like pork, therefore I have never made chile verde before. I'g going to show him these recipes and see what he thinks. This could force me to hunt through the storage unit to look for my pressure cooker.

Beth, I found a hunk-o-Porkloin Roast in the deep freeze that we obiously didn't finish from sometime back. Do you think that this would work for Pork Chile Stew?
I was thinking cube it relatively small-ish and cook it for a bit maybe?
Your thoughts?
Or anyone for that matter, thoughts on Pork Chile Stew? How long do ya think to cook the leftover Porkloin Roast, cubed?

Beth, I found a hunk-o-Porkloin Roast in the deep freeze that we obiously didn't finish from sometime back. Do you think that this would work for Pork Chile Stew?
I was thinking cube it relatively small-ish and cook it for a bit maybe?
Your thoughts?
Or anyone for that matter, thoughts on Pork Chile Stew? How long do ya think to cook the leftover Porkloin Roast, cubed?
So it's already cooked and you want to use leftover pork in the stew?

You can do that, but it won't have as much flavor as it would if you cooked the meat from raw in the stew. The pork (or chicken) flavor permeates the stew and vice versa. Also, browning meat and deglazing the browned bits into the stew makes a big difference. If you want to make an impression on your DH, I'd start with raw meat.

+1^ Pork shoulder meat would be traditional and delicious.

Slice up that leftover lean cooked loin for hot pork with gravy sandwiches maybe.

Last edited:
K~Girl's Chicken Green Chile Stew

I just saw where K-girl had asked for this recipe. What got this on my mind was ordering it at a restaurant recently. Most New Mexican restaurants here will offer a chicken green chile stew....but try to find a recipe for it in a cookbook!

So here is my version of this delicious stew/soup.

2T. olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 can whole corn
1 can creamed corn

4 cloves garlic
1 T. coriander
1 1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. paprika
1/4 t salt
1/4 t, black pepper

16 oz. green chile sauce
4 C. chicken stock
1 lime, juiced
3 to 4 cups pulled chicken

4 cups cooked diced potatoes with cooking water

Heat oil, add onion and corn. Add garlic and spices. Add chile sauce ( or add chopped green chiles) chicken stock, cooked potatoes, lime juice and chicken

This is how I wrote the recipe. Use your imagination for how long between the addition of the ingredients!

DSC00916.JPG

DSC00917.JPG

DSC00918.JPG

YUM!!!

Beth, I did a half batch to see if it would get past DH :rolleyes:

And I added a coupla other ingredients:
Cilantro
Oregano
Canned diced Tomatoes
Diced Carrots and Celery

I used some of my Frozen Corn Kernels
I had some Roasted Garlic Cloves that needed using
Chopped canned Hatch Chiles and Enchilada Sauce, that I always have on hand

And believe it or not, I found a can of Whole New Potatoes in my pantry, diced those up and added them at the last 20 minutes of simmering.

It was Lunch this afternoon and DH gave a BIG thumbs up.
He also said that I am NOT to share this with any neighbors :LOL:
I got a good 4 quarts of Stew, and I decided to use the mild Chiles and Sauce and it was PLENTY hot enough for us.
DELICIOUS!!!
Thank you again Beth!

Back
Top Bottom