Chicken soup challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Knodel for me is mis-spelt...

kanoodle (sometimes spelt with a c) - cuddle up and be just a little bit naughty!

as in they were kanoodling in the front parlor.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Kanoodle with knödel? Yes the Ö has a sound that like I in Irma if you are from the south, my American friends is the eehhm sound a Texans makes before he tries to think, she from Texas so I guess she knows. I have no clue.

Kanoodle with knödel? Yes the Ö has a sound that like I in Irma if you are from the south, my American friends is the eehhm sound a Texans makes before he tries to think, she from Texas so I guess she knows. I have no clue.

I was thinking that it was the German umlaut sound over the o. I don't have that on my 'puter. With a European accent and stretching it out a bit ... could easily be kanoodle. :LOL:

CakePoet - you realize I'm joking, yes?

Hi,

My roommate is sick and has a really bad flu. Anyone suggest what to put in my chicken soup?

Thank you :)

Try to keep the soup as clear as possible and fairly mild to start. Your roommate will probably not want to even eat if the flu is that bad, but try to encourage a bit. Once feeling a bit better add some dry toast.

Hi,

My roommate is sick and has a really bad flu. Anyone suggest what to put in my chicken soup?

Thank you :)

Probably the stock made from bones, vegetables and herbs will be most soothing. When s/he is feeling better, add some of the chicken meat and fresh onions, carrots and celery till they're soft, and a little cooked rice.

When s/he's able, the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) will provide basic nutrition and not be hard on a delicate tummy :)

Last edited:
CharlieD Knödel for me is more like dumplings and made most often with potatoes. A Knödel is much more dense then a quenelle.

I know, I know. But I think it took different forms in different places/countries

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Try to keep the soup as clear as possible and fairly mild to start. Your roommate will probably not want to even eat if the flu is that bad, but try to encourage a bit. Once feeling a bit better add some dry toast.

Serve if a large cup with a straw always to make it taste even better.

Dragnlaw: Now try to pronounce kanöödle instead kanoodle, that would be a tongue stretcher.
I usually tell people so we dont have the Mötley Crüe confusion again, yes they where surprise the ö and ü had a sound and German fans called them something else.

I don't buy chicken fat--I render it from the fat cooked out when I roast chicken thighs. I put the fat in water and boil the heck out of it until the water has almost evaporated. Then I strain it and put it in the fridge in a jar. Works for me.

I don't buy chicken fat--I render it from the fat cooked out when I roast chicken thighs. I put the fat in water and boil the heck out of it until the water has almost evaporated. Then I strain it and put it in the fridge in a jar. Works for me.

Mmmm ... Love chicken fat. Thinly spread on the piece of a good rye bread, with I sprinkle of salt, yum.:yum:

Mulligatawny Soup ! How the heck could I forget this type of chicken soup, I used to love it.

I made my chicken soup and it was wonderful.

How I made the stock:
I cut up a chicken. Then used the back, the wings, 1 breast, (plus 1 back and about 20 wing tips that I had in the freezer), 3 unpeeled carrots, 3 celery stalks, 1 large onion with skin on but root end cut off) the stems from 1 bunch parsley and green tops from 3 leeks cleaned well to remove sand and dirt. Placed in pot and covered with water. Simmered 2 hours. Note: I placed backs, bones and vegetables in one soup sock (to throw away) and the 2 wings and breast (to clean and use in the soup) in another soup sock for easy removal no straining necessary. The soup socks make the job much easier (I used to put everything in cheese cloth bundles because I was always worried I would miss a small bone and the girls would eat it). The bones, tips and veggie made a nicely colored and flavored stock.

The backs and wing tips make such wonderful tasting and gelatinous stock. I wish they would sell them packaged for stock making. When you want to make a quick homemade stock or are not skilled at breaking down a whole chicken.

The soup:
Homemade stock

3 peeled carrots
3 stalks celery plus the heart and tender leaves
3 leeks - the bottom white part
1 large onion
3 peeled small potatoes
Cleaned chicken breast and wings

All chopped and simmered in stock till tender. Served over brown rice and topped with fresh grated Parmesan and Romano cheese.

I will try to snap a picture later.

Note: The leg quarters and 1 breast were put aside for my girls to roast for their dinner.

Last edited:
I cheated on my last batch of chicken soup. I cleaned out the vegetable drawer, hacked up a bunch of tired celery, carrots, and half a large onion, and sauteed them in some olive oil. Sprinkled in a bit of Penzey's roasted garlic. Heated a box of Kirkland chicken stock along with some water and a couple Ts of Better Than Boullion chicken goop. Threw in a bunch of very tired chopped parsley including stems, and dried thyme. S&P. Added some fat precooked egg noodles at the end.

Voila! Chickenless chicken noodle soup! I really like the flavor that the tired parsley added. I've not used it in chicken soup before. Must use thyme. DH loves it too.

Last edited:
I cheated on my last batch of chicken soup. I cleaned out the vegetable drawer, hacked up a bunch of tired celery, carrots, and half a large onion, and sauteed them in some olive oil. Sprinkled in a bit of Penzey's roasted garlic. Heated a box of Kirkland chicken stock along with some water and a couple Ts of Better Than Boullion chicken goop. Threw in a bunch of very tired chopped parsley including stems, and dried thyme. S&P. Added some fat precooked egg noodles at the end.

Voila! Chickenless chicken noodle soup! I really like the flavor that the tired parsley added. I've not used it in chicken soup before. Must use thyme. DH loves it too.
Parsley stems and leek add so much flavor.

Parsley stems and leek add so much flavor.

I've only used leeks in potato leek soup. Need to get some more, they sound wonderful for chicken soup. And I agree about the parsley stems!

Oh, and I forgot. Added 4 packets of TrueLemon powder. Really brightened up the flavor.

Last edited:
this is pretty ... amazing - funny - bizarre - I don't know what else to call it. Everyone's concept of "Chicken Soup".

If someone says 'chicken soup' to me - I think of a clear consomme, chicken based.

yet this thread has given recipes anywhere from B to Z (broth to zoodles <awe, come on, give me a break>)
Chicken vegetable, chicken noodle, chicken rice, chicken gumbo, chicken and a gazillion things I can't think of. And ALL of them sound delicious.

But if I serve a chicken soup with carrots/broccoli/peas or potato in it, I call it chicken n carrot/broccoli/peas or potato soup or chicken vegetable soup.
Serve it with rice... chicken and rice soup
serve it with noodles... chicken noodle soup
serve it with won tons... Won Ton soup
Cream?.. Cream of Chicken soup
and the list goes on

I was really expecting to read different ingredients (spices, herbs, chicken parts)which was there, but also different methods of perhaps... straining? ... how to clarify?

Obviously... in the eye of the beholder! Love it!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom