Chicken soup challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is pretty ... amazing - funny - bizarre - I don't know what else to call it. Everyone's concept of "Chicken Soup".

If someone says 'chicken soup' to me - I think of a clear consomme, chicken based.

yet this thread has given recipes anywhere from B to Z (broth to zoodles <awe, come on, give me a break>)
Chicken vegetable, chicken noodle, chicken rice, chicken gumbo, chicken and a gazillion things I can't think of. And ALL of them sound delicious.

But if I serve a chicken soup with carrots/broccoli/peas or potato in it, I call it chicken n carrot/broccoli/peas or potato soup or chicken vegetable soup.
Serve it with rice... chicken and rice soup
serve it with noodles... chicken noodle soup
serve it with won tons... Won Ton soup
Cream?.. Cream of Chicken soup
and the list goes on

I was really expecting to read different ingredients (spices, herbs, chicken parts)which was there, but also different methods of perhaps... straining? ... how to clarify?

Obviously... in the eye of the beholder! Love it!!!

I got your "A" to Z...Chicken Tortilla Soup with Avocado...to die for!

I am I the only one that noticed that most recipes for chicken soup is either chicken and dumpling or chicken noodle soup.

Dont you do anything else when it comes to chicken?

What about Mulligatawny Soup , chicken rice soup, Cock-a-leekie soup or Tom Kha Gai?

I am I the only one that noticed that most recipes for chicken soup is either chicken and dumpling or chicken noodle soup.

What about Mulligatawny Soup , chicken rice soup, Cock-a-leekie soup or Tom Kha Gai?

I haven't gotten to mine yet ;) I have chicken bones and vegetable scraps in the freezer and I'm planning to make an Asian-style stock. Then I'll make soup.

I've been trying to eat through the stuff that's already in my freezers before I add more :LOL:

Tom Kha Gai and Tom Yum Gai are both favorites here.

They are two Thai soups the Gai refers to chicken. They are in a chicken broth flavored with lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, fish sauce, etc.

Tom Kha is made with the addition of coconut milk. Tom Yum doesn't include coconut milk but does include tamarind.

I've made the Tom Yum Gai - love it!

Always been meaning to try the Tom Kha Gai. Guess I better get going on it. Have everything except the Lemongrass. Prefer to use fresh but often don't see it in the grocers. Maybe have to go with some tubed paste stuff... :(

Love Tom Kha. So much so that I could bathe in it. It's wonderfully easy to make too!

Coconut chicken soup is the only time I'd eat anything with coconut. I hate it otherwise. But that soup is divine.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

This dang thread got me to hankering chicken soup. So I look in the fridge. What no onions? I am sure I had them on the list. So I go into my last grocery list. Sure 'nuff, no onions or taters listed. They would be on Spike's side and it was his job to get them. But he doesn't improvise. If it is not listed, he doesn't pick it up. Even if he knows I get those two items every month.

I guess I could make chicken broth with rice. But I don't like rice in my soups. Well, I guess I will wait until next month.

Not to brag, but I make a killer chicken soup.

My secret is fresh lemon juice at the end. It brings every flavor together.

Yes, but...you have a fresh lemon tree...not like you have to trudge through the snow to pick up a lemon...

Addie; make another type of chicken soup? There tons of different types out there.

Yes, but...you have a fresh lemon tree...not like you have to trudge through the snow to pick up a lemon...

Indeed. But the TrueLemon packets that JanetH recommended make a very good substitute. Love that stuff, tastes like fresh lemon. Very nice in chicken soup.

Addie; make another type of chicken soup? There tons of different types out there.

It is simmering in my new Cuisinart pan as I sit here. Spike brought me some onions and a few carrots.

For some strange reason I watched Martha Stewart last night making different soups. So today I took some of what she did and my broth is so delicious. Every time Pirate heads out to the kitchen, I follow him. He has had three buttered pieces of fresh Italian bread for dipping into the broth. Right now he cant decide if he wants me to make dumplings or does he want to use the bread and dunk it in his bowl. I am for the bread. Less work for me.

Indeed. But the TrueLemon packets that JanetH recommended make a very good substitute. Love that stuff, tastes like fresh lemon. Very nice in chicken soup.

I have tons of True Lemon and just half a ton of True Lime...got it at Amazon for Shrek. I'll need to learn to cook with it.

I have tons of True Lemon and just half a ton of True Lime...got it at Amazon for Shrek. I'll need to learn to cook with it.

You must try it in chicken soup! It's really good. Lemons and limes, the fresh ones, are outrageously expensive around here, and since we're a bit north of where they grow, the quality is questionable.

Back
Top Bottom