Childhood vs Now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
What was your mom’s soup you remember from growing up?
What was your most memorable soup you made for your kids?
What is your favourite soup now?

Do you make any changes tweaks or changes to soups from your past?

How have the soups of your life changed over time and generations

When I was a kid, mom made my favorite, chicken soup with egg and lemon.

When my kids were growing up their favorite soup was my mom's chicken soup with egg and lemon.

These days my favorite soup is mom's chicken soup with egg and lemon.

I have a lot of soups I love as I am a fan of soups, but mom's wins out over all the others.

My Mom didn't make a lot soup that wasn't from a can. (50s housewives were encouraged to open cans, as it was more "modern.")

So I'll talk about my first revelation in soup. I was a poor graduate student, and I had a Betty Crocker "Cooking for 2" cookbook. In it was the simplest recipe, almost, for split pea soup. I had never had split pea soup, except once or twice in cafeterias, where I liked it. I determined to make it.

I called my Mom in a panic about ham hocks - they had a few hairs on them - what to do? Well, believe me, she had never cooked with ham hocks in her life. So I scrubbed them well, and followed the recipe.

It was wonderful! It was sustaining! It was super cheap! I ate it for days. It is still my favorite recipe for green split pea soup. As a matter of fact, I just offered the recipe to a great-niece who is starting out. She "doesn't like pea soup."

Is no one young, poor, and hungry anymore :yum:

My Mom didn't make a lot soup that wasn't from a can. (50s housewives were encouraged to open cans, as it was more "modern.")

So I'll talk about my first revelation in soup. I was a poor graduate student, and I had a Betty Crocker "Cooking for 2" cookbook. In it was the simplest recipe, almost, for split pea soup. I had never had split pea soup, except once or twice in cafeterias, where I liked it. I determined to make it.

I called my Mom in a panic about ham hocks - they had a few hairs on them - what to do? Well, believe me, she had never cooked with ham hocks in her life. So I scrubbed them well, and followed the recipe.

It was wonderful! It was sustaining! It was super cheap! I ate it for days. It is still my favorite recipe for green split pea soup. As a matter of fact, I just offered the recipe to a great-niece who is starting out. She "doesn't like pea soup."

Laid off in the winter but the freezer was full of beef and chicken. That’ and veggies a pot would last us for days. Homemade bread for like $2 I could eat for a week lol.

Growing up on a farm I’ve been lucky enough for lots of meat and I love meet lol. I’m just getting into vegi soups lol. I make chicken or beef vegi soup all the time but rarely do I not use meat. Even my potato soup started with a slow roasted beef soup bone lol

My mom often opened Campbell soup as well as grandma always has stocked. But she would make that more for lunches for us kids but homemade sometimes for dinner

Mom used canned soups, they were fine and I love tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches.
Dad, however, made a kick butt Udon noodle soup with beef shanks that was divine. Love it and always want it.
I love making soup, all kinds. Cream of...and bean/split pea soups are my favorites.

My mom served Campbells. Not sure how she was able to even accomplish this as she only used a cheap tinny can opener and sometimes had to finish opening the can with a screw driver. Picture it.

My Gram made lots of homemade soups including chix soup,bean soup, cabbage soup and vegetable soup. I just made a pot of veggie beef soup this weekend and added cabbage smiles ( if not my invention, it's the name I give )-- pin small wedges w/ toothpicks and add very late in the cook so the cabbage is just crisp tender. Remove the toothpicks before serving. AND I added Gram's Danish egg dumplings to the pot. These are a fairly heavy dumpling so I spoon smaller dollops of the dough into the pot rather than the big size spoonfuls Gram made.

When Jr was little he liked vegetable alphabet soup. I discovered pasta
alphabet letters and had to add these to any soups we made or else he wouldn't eat his soup.

Last edited:
I’ve been curious about dumplings but never tried them. More or less boiled dough balls? We’ve very often made baked drop biscuits that have garlic and herbs and cheese in them and they’re too good to pass up

My mom was the one who made out lunches and prepared dinner, but Dad was the one , who on the weekend, would spend the day cooking, trying things that were new and exotic at the time, so it is my dad whose cooking I find most memorable.

Soup, hands down , would have to be his Manhattan Clam Chowder. Sounds strange coming from a vegetarian, but wasn't one back then. When I think of this soup, it takes me back to either a rainy or snowy Sunday. He would let me and my siblings help dice the veggie while he was opening the clams over the sink. In the background you would hear the sounds of Peter , Paul and Mary, Trini Lopez, the Mama's and the Papa's, Chubby Checkers, Louis Armstrong , Benny Goodman, Harry Belafonte ...( I still have all of my dads vinyls from back in the day) coming out of the stereo in the den ( which was like a bench that had a record player and AM radio in it). The records were stacked so the music would be continuous for hours. First you'd smell the Bacon, then the onions and Thyme, then the rest of the veggies. he would cook it for hours. The cooking and prep started before lunch, but soup time wouldn't be until dinner.

My mom made decent matzoh balls ( not for the clam chowder :) , just giving her props.

My grandmother made her depression era vegetable soup , which she literally passed down the recipe on her deathbed, as I eagerly jotted down the recip so it wouldn't t be lost forever . We refer to it as "Rosie Soup". ( Grandma Rosie). She'd made enough for her, and extra for us, that she would disperse in her empty Sanka Bottles. (Wish I still had a Sanka bottle for old times sake). She made the soup in this one specific pot, and the recipe even calls for after adding all the ingredients, add water to 1 inch from the top of the pot. Therefore, the recipe is specific for the pot ( I inherited the pot, and always makes the soup in that pot to keep true to the recipe).

the Clam chowder I have never made, as I am now a vegetarian, but I do make a vegetable soup that resembles the flavors of his chowder. My son loves matzoh balls, we usually make them in a veggie ( imitation chicken ) broth, with carrots, celery ... The Rosie soup I make as is.

As for my kids, one of the first recipes I developed myself was a vegetable soup recipe that I was inspired from a Delmonte cookbook my mom sent away for when saving up enough labels. It was only a few pages ( more like a pamphlet than a cookbook). I changed the recipe so much from its original that I consider it 100% mine. Every now and then I reread the recipe, and Im shocked how different it is from what I make. I would expect that now, but back in the day when I was first cooking, im surprised I had the knowledge and ability to change it as much as I did ( and still tasting good). This was my signature soup for decades, and probably the one my kids and family would remember most from their childhood days.

I am definitely a soup person. I can eat it every day.
Favorite home made soups would be Pea, Borscht ( hot (Thanks to Charlie D and cold), Rosie Veggie soup, My veggie Soup, Matzoh balls, vichyssoise, Butternut squash, Mushroom barley, spinach -malanga soup, potato soup, onion soup , whatever is ripe this week in the garden soup, cleaning out the refrigerator soup. I can go on and on.

Most of the changes ive made , from childhood, would be to vegetarian or veganize soups so me and my wife can eat them, ( come just cant be converted so I had to give them up), also, making things more healthy ( less butter, less cream, less salt ... a little older and wiser)

Shout out to Vegetarian Hot and Sour soup, which is my favorite soup, but I have yet been able to recreate what ive tasted in the restaurants. the good lord knows Ive tried and purchased every Asian condiment , scoured the internet , spoke to chefs, emailed the Museum of Food and drink and contacted the chef who is behind the ' History of Chinese Take out food in America" exhibit to no avail .

Anyway, ill stop here cause I can go on and on with soup forever.

Oh, I forgot tomato soup, I love tomato soup with croutons.

I’ve been curious about dumplings but never tried them. More or less boiled dough balls? We’ve very often made baked drop biscuits that have garlic and herbs and cheese in them and they’re too good to pass up
Dough made with baking powder for a quick rise..

I make two 1.5 gallon batches of soup every day, 6 days a week..what I have found over the years is that the classics will always sell better..I try different types, more obscure kinds, and sometimes they go over, but for the most part its the beef barley's and potato bacon type soups that sell best..people find comfort in familiarity...

Last edited:
It's funny you posted that..I was just about to make a version of that for lunch..I have some chicken pieces and dumplings left over from last night's supper..I was just going to cut the dumplings in half and throw them in the soup before serving..

One little tip with dumplings is, like muffin batter, don't over work your dough and you will get a lighter dumpling..

Last edited:
It's funny you posted that..I was just about to make a version of that for lunch..I have some chicken pieces and dumplings left over from last night's supper..I was just going to cut the dumplings in half and throw them in the soup before serving..

One little tip with dumplings is, like muffin batter, don't over work your dough and you will get a lighter dumpling..

Attachments

• 82765667_508513963428092_8983250950890192896_n.jpg
    82765667_508513963428092_8983250950890192896_n.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 143
My mum opened cans of Campbell soup. My favourites were cream of celery and cream of mushroom. The only soup I remember her making from scratch was split pea soup. I really dislike that stuff. The only reason I didn't mind it too much as a kid, was because we always got Swedish pancakes for dessert after split pea soup. It was only served on Thursdays, often with a ham sandwich.

I am slowly adding more homemade soups to my repertoire. The two I'm best at are a roasted vegi bisque and leek and potato soup. I use Julia Child's super simple recipe for that. I actually made some this afternoon and a small bowl each will be our appetizers.

My favorite soup as a kid was Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup, which is funny because I don't like beans all that much [emoji38] I don't really remember my mom making homemade soup. She didn't much like cooking.

No kids, but DH's favorite soup of mine is split pea soup. I use Alton Brown's recipe in the slow cooker. Last time I made it, though, I had no miso paste (for the umami factor), so I added a little fish sauce instead. He liked it [emoji2]

Now I love making lots of different soups. Some favorites include pasta e fagioli and German kielbasa and potato. Last year, I learned to make Turkish soup with caramelized onions and lamb meatballs with sumac broth - it's amazingly delicious :yum:

And Andy - Friday, I had some roasted chicken and a softening lemon to use up, so I made avgolemono soup for the first time. Turned out great! I never made it before because DH doesn't like eggs and I wasn't sure he would like the texture. But I got a cup at a Greek restaurant recently and he tried it and liked it.

Also, now I make my own bean with bacon soup and it's delicious :yum:

My mom made potato soup and I make potato soup. I had 4 sisters so when the crowds for Christmas eve dinner got too big, mom declared that potato soup would be served taking away some of the work involved. Every one agrees,still, it's potato soup for Christmas eve dinner. If it's just my smaller family we add bratwurst and fresh buns.
Once in a while I'll make taco soup and freeze it in batches.

My mom was another one of those 50s housewives, that opened Campbell's soup, when soup was served. I remember vegetable beef, only because it had barley in it, which is what got me liking barley! She would make some soups with leftover ham bones, from holidays - navy beans or split peas. One of my favorite soups, to this day, she (or rather, we) learned to make in Spain - gazpacho. She learned it the original way, in a chinois, like pressing everything through a food mill, but it wasn't easy. As a result, she hated the soup, even though the rest of us loved it. Eventually, I became the gazpacho maker, using the blender, but she still didn't like it.

I make a lot of soups - some cold ones in the summer, but mostly hot ones, in the colder seasons. I make mostly Asian soups, most of which are fast to make, and I use Indian lentils in a lot of soups, even if they aren't Indian, since they cook fairly fast. But I make a lot of soups with other legumes, as well, since they cook well in pressure cookers.

Back
Top Bottom