Chowder & Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We are going to fuse two favorites to make this soup, chowder, and dumplings. I'm talking those yummy, cloud-like biscuit dumplings, steamed on top of a great soup. What could be better?

Chowder:
15 large, ez peel, deveined raw shrimp
1 cup Scallops, diced
1 cup fresh clams
4 tbs. flour
4 tbs. butter
2 cups water
1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp. black pepper1 stalk celery, sliced
1/2 onion, fine diced

Peel shrimp and [lace shells into a large soup pot. Cover with water. Bring to a simmer and cook tor 20 minutes.

Melt butter in a large frying pan. Add onion, and garlic. Saute until translucent. Add the shrimp, scallops, and climbs into the p[an and cook until just done. Add flour and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes. Strain liquid from the shrimp skins into a bowl or measuring cup. Gently stir the shrimp broth into the pan to make a rich, seafood filled veloute. Return to the soup pot. this with milk to desired consistency. Season with Old Bay, and pepper. Simmer for ten minutes. Taste, correct seasonings.

Dumplings:
8 tablespoons (115 grams or 1 stick) cold unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, see notes
1/2 cup (118 ml) cold whole milk

blend together all of the ingredients except the milk. A food processor works great for this part. Gentry stir in the milk to make the biscuit dough. Drop dough by tbs. on top of the chowder for each dumpling. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve fresh ands piping hot.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief that sounds positively scrumpdillyisious!

But I think I will pass on climbing into the pan with the rest of the seafood.

LOL

aww com'on! I know it is clams but damn... it is funny!

I haven’t really figured out the whole chowder thing yet. What makes it a chowder vs soup, etc?

IMHO.... I "personally" think that a chowder, although it may contain a few vegetables, is not known for its mixed content.

Rather it is known for its one main ingredient - as in clam chowder - and it could even be a vegetable - corn for example.

But is an extremely thick soup, so thick as to be almost stew.

Soup is more brothy. Chowder is thicker and is usually made with dairy, although there are exceptions, like Manhattan clam chowder.

I always heard chowders need potatoes in them as well.

I heard that to once upon a time but then how do you explain how creamy potato soup is a soup? Not trying to be difficult this has just been bugging me lately and I haven’t had my ah ha moment yet and figured it out

In my mind a chowder has to be very very thick, but still creamy.

Also, stews are more "meaty" as in heavy with the beef/chicken. (actually never heard of a 'pork' stew? have you?)

Don't think it matters much what's in it. It's what you grew up with.

You might have a fish stew - but rarely a lobster stew. It is then called a lobster bisque. LOL one could go on forever with this! Plus I have no idea what other cultures would call some of these - possibly/probably the same base but different names.

even to gravy!

broth, stock, soup, bisque, chowder, stew - put a crust on it and call it a pot pie!

To me, each one gets heavier/thicker as you go on. From clear base, to milk base, to flour base, and every other base you can think of...

I heard that to once upon a time but then how do you explain how creamy potato soup is a soup? Not trying to be difficult this has just been bugging me lately and I haven’t had my ah ha moment yet and figured it out

It's got nothing else going for it but potato. Toss in clams and *bam* chowda!

...Also, stews are more "meaty" as in heavy with the beef/chicken. (actually never heard of a 'pork' stew? have you?)...
Yes, I have! Thanks for asking. ;)

I haven't made this for a couple of years, but it is very good. Freezes well, too, but I saw pictures of your freezer elsewhere. You might want to wait and make this once you move.

Classic Pork Stew

LOL CG, thanks it looks delish! Will try it... once I move. (you know that was just the top shelf, eh?) Actually I'll be able to make more stews, etc. as with myself and son's family we will be a household of 6! Wheee!!! - love cooking up big meals!

One of my biggest worries will be to NOT step on my DIL's toes in the (her!) kitchen. :(

Back
Top Bottom