Constance's Potato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Here's my recipe, adapted from my mom's. I like Yukon Gold potatoes, but any kind is just fine.

CONNIE'S POTATO SOUP

Ingredients:
6 thick slices of bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 leeks, white part only, sliced thin
1 medium carrot, grated
½ cup chopped celery
6 cloves garlic, minced
approx. 1/4 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups skim milk (or whatever kind you have on hand)
2 cups water
6-8 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped in bite-size pieces
2 tbl salt
white pepper to taste
2 tbl chopped Italian parsley
4 oz cream cheese, cubed (opt)

Directions:
Sweat chopped bacon slowly in a soup pot over medium heat. When it's beginning to crisp, add vegetables and cook a few minutes, until tender. Add flour and turn heat up to med/high. Cook and stir a few minutes until flour browns a bit, then deglaze with the chicken broth. When soup begins to thicken, add milk, water, potatoes, Italian parsley, salt and pepper. Cook till potatoes are tender, reseason, then add cream cheese and stir till melted.

It took me some digging to find this one Constance, so I copied it into its own thread. Its easier to find now. Thanks for this yummy recipe.

Been hunting for this one or the one our friend Dave (gramps) gave me and was just about to give up..Thanks Alix and Connie:)
kades

I'm glad you all like it! The cream cheese is just an extra...the soup is still good without it.
My mother actually never made potato soup, but Grandma White did, and mom said she just used bacon, onions, potatoes and water. That's where I started, and the recipe evolved from there.

I'm glad you all like it! The cream cheese is just an extra...the soup is still good without it.
My mother actually never made potato soup, but Grandma White did, and mom said she just used bacon, onions, potatoes and water. That's where I started, and the recipe evolved from there.

My Mom used to make the basic one and I liked it. But this one looks really good.

Thanks Constance. I made this for dinner last night and it was delicious. I made one minor change. When the soup was done I took my stick blender to it and blended about half of it to get a smoother and thicker consistency. I served it with a loaf of ciabatta bread. Unfortunately my kids were not crazy about it. Rach said it smelled too potatoy (well duh :))and Osher copies everything she says and does. I never said my kids had good taste. Darl and I loved the soup.

That's kids for ya. My youngest daughter loves chicken noodle soup, but only the Campbell's condensed stuff. She turned her nose up at my homemade chicken noodle because it had vegetables in it.

I'm glad you and the Mrs. enjoyed it. You can turn it into clam chowder by replacing the chicken broth with bottled clam juice and adding canned clams. Of course, fresh will do in a pinch. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom