Cooking Goddess's Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
This started out from an Allrecipes.com copycat version of Panera Bread's soup. Over time I've modified it so much I need to post my own version. Enjoy!

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup ~ 8-12 servings, depending on how hungry you are

8 cups chicken broth
2 carrots, cut into disks
2 packages Long Grain and Wild Rice Mix *
4 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken **
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
2 cups half-and-half

Bring the broth and carrots to a boil. Add rice mix and cook according to directions time-wise. When rice is cooked, add chicken. Meanwhile, make roux from butter and flour, and add to broth/rice/chicken. Temper the cream, then add slowly to pot of soup. Heat and serve. Add pepper to taste.

* I use Carolina rice mix. It is sold under other names throughout the country, but will say "Rivianna" somewhere on the back of the packet. You could probably use any seasoned rice packet you choose.

** I use the meat from one rotisserie chicken (save the bones for stock ;)) and one additional chicken breast that I simmer in some broth that will be part of the final soup.

Thanks, Kayelle, it is. I think at first glance the two recipes look similar, but I think their flavor profiles would be different. I don't use bacon (although I'm liking that idea - a lot :yum: ), olives or any member of the allium family. Sometimes I'll saute fresh mushrooms to add to the soup, though. I've also tossed in random kale, Swiss chard, or spinach that might be hiding in the fridge. The greens make me believe all that cream isn't a problem.

Aw Josie, hope you two get over it quickly.

OMGoodness, thank you for sharing, CG. :yum: This soup sounds so good to me right now. I have everything to make this, and it will give me a good reason to use up the rest of the 1/2 and 1/2 I've got in the fridge. I don't usually have that and I hate the thought of throwing it out.

I have some fresh spinach that needs to be used to, that would be lovely in this soup.

I'll make this tomorrow....I hope. :LOL::chef:

Josie....sure hope you get over the flu quickly. Healing thoughts to you.

Last edited:
Just an update as to the half-and-half: I now make a bit more roux (3 Tbsp. each flour and butter) and add a ratio of 1/4 half-and-half and 3/4 milk. We usually have 2% on hand. Still creamy enough, and tastes the same. Considering that the original recipe called for two cups of heavy cream, I suppose all half-and-half is practically healthy!

I made another adjustment to this recipe tonight. When I first posted it, those packets of seasoned rice were bigger. :glare: Tonight I ended up adding a third packet, the last one in my pantry. In the future, though I'll have four on had for this full recipe.

Back
Top Bottom