Corn chowder??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markwitz

Assistant Cook
I have some over mature silver queen swet corn in my garden that is starting to dryout and getting that dimpled look to the kernal. Still lots of moisture in the kernal but it would be way too tough for corn on the cob. Any ideas foe making chowder or anything else. I hate to waste them

Hi,

My corn chowder recipe (1971 Joy of Cooking) calls for 2 cups of corn to make 6 cups of chowder. (If you don't have the recipe, I'll share.) How many cups of corn do you think you have?

My grandmother used to make something she called tamale pie--basically meatloaf with Mexican seasonings, a little cornmeal stirred into the tomato sauce, and lots of fresh corn kernels, chopped onions, and black olives mixed into the hamburger meat. The corn was pretty chewy, as I remember.

I like to add fresh corn kernels and a bit of curry powder to standard chicken & noodle soup or chicken & rice soup.

Good luck!

It's been years since I've made corn chowder, but mine basically consisted of the corn of course, and potatoes, leeks, and a cream base, or you can use half & half (milk and cream), chicken broth, and herbs of your choice.

Your corn would also be good added to chili. I also like to make a roasted tomatoe and corn salsa which is great on many things but particularly crab cakes.

If you have some wasted dried corn, and you like animals, birds and squirrels love it.

Nebraska Corn Chowder
(recipe courtesy of Kate Connelly)

8 ears medium sweet corn, husked
2 yellow onions, minced
2-3 Tbs. butter
2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 Tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. hot Hungarian paprika
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground tellicherry peppercorns
1/2 c. water
2 c. whole milk
2 c. whole cream

Cut the kernels off the cobs with a sharp knife down the rows and scoop out the whole kernels including the 'milk' from the corn into a mixing bowl. In a large soup pot, melt the butter and saute the onion, corn + cornmilk and diced potatoes until lightly browned. Add the sugar, salt, pepper and paprika. Add water, milk and cream and bring to a low boil. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Serve with a nice crusty bread.

I want to make some corn chowder with crab tonight. Would anyone recommend that I just add crab to Fraidy's recipe or add crab and something like sherry (like in she crab soup)to the recipe?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom