Corn Chowder/Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoReese

Cook
I am trying to cut down on meats esp cured meats. But I like sausage in my corn chowder. Are there some spices I can add like paprika to come close to the taste sausage adds?

You should be able to find a recipe for the type of sausage you like. Add the seasonings in that recipe (garlic, sage, etc) to your chowder along with some browned ground meat (pork?). That should approximate the flavor while avoiding cured meat.

I was thinking maybe some of those planted-based sausages, but then I looked it up on the WWW and they are highly processed :ohmy:
And here my PCP had told me on my last visit to try to switch over to eating vegan and go for stuff like Beyond Meat :ermm:
"But faux-meat products like Beyond Burger aren't perfect. “They're highly-processed foods and typically are high in sodium, which could be a problem for people with high blood pressure,”
source: Women's Health Magazine
:huh:

How about making your own uncured sausage? Or you might be able to find some available for purchase. The Italian sausages that I buy are just made of ground pork, herbs and spices, and salt. I buy them fresh and often freeze them to cook later.

It's easy to make a sausage-like product with ground beef or pork and seasonings. It's not cured but it's tasty. Here's an example:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16359/breakfast-sausage/

I like to refrigerate it overnight before using so the flavors can meld. Cook a small patty to check for seasoning before you cook the amount you want to use in your chowder.

It isn't sausage, but a recipe I've used for years is, Smoked Goat Cheddar & White Corn Chowder, Courtesy Lalime's Restaurant, Berkeley, CA. I think I got a copy at a Pampered Chef's party, many moons ago. I did a quick www search and found a copy online, scroll down on this link: ANGEL OF DEATH CHEESE SPREAD

It is a good soup! (Ignore what the link is called...just scroll down.)

Do you make your chowder with sweet corn, hominy, or peg corn? Traditional Native American corn chowder in Michigan's U.P., is made with hominy. The meats used are typically venison, or pork, sometimes wild rabbit. MoReese, What's your recipe.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like to try to make easier meals so I use canned creamed corn, frozen roasted corn, Cream of Celery soup, plant-based sausage, onions, green chili's.

I guess it depends very much on what kind of sausage you use. As a broad generalisation, Spanish sausage uses a lot of paprika/pimentón and garlic; Italian sausage, garlic, fennel,maybe peperoncini, maybe basil; British sausages use a lot of sage and thyme; German sausage might use caraway, nutmeg, allspice, bay leaves. It´s just a question of experimenting, I´d say.

The ground fennel seed, 2 tsps ground, make all the difference between tomato mushroom sauce, and some old fashioned 90 year old italian grandma spaghetti sauce. It smells just like italian sausages bathed in tomato mushrooms.

Back
Top Bottom