Crab and Corn Chowder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiceUmUp

Senior Cook
:chef: CRAB AND CORN CHOWDER

6 ears of fresh corn (I have bought frozen on the cob and it has worked well)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 bunch green onions chopped (I love green onions and often use more than 1/2 a bunch)
1 quart of chicken stock heated (use home made if you can, but canned with the fat skimmed is good)
1 quart of half and half
2 teaspoons of salt
1/2 teaspoon of white pepper (black works fine but is not as attractive)
1 pound of crabmeat (have used canned, frozen and imitation and all have worked fine)

Cut the kernels from the ears of corn and set aside, discard the cobs
Melt the butter in a heavy sauce pan and blend in the flour, cook for about 3 minutes (you are making a light roux)
Add the chopped green onions and cook while stirring until the onions soften, 2 minutes or so.
Whisk in the hot stock and bring to a boil
Add the half and half and the corn
Add the salt and pepper
Bring to a rolling boil and turn down to a simmer for about 20 minutes or until reduced to about a quart and a half
Fold in crabmeat season to taste and serve

You can use shrimp instead of the crab or even clams or oysters
I have used all with good results

NOW ENJOY!!!!!​

This looks great, couple of questions- how many does it feed? could you use just corn kernels already off the cob?
We have "soup day" every Wednesday during winter and we have to make soup for 16 when its our turn.

The best of both worlds, crab chowder and corn chowder all in one. The Temp here is climbing into the 100+ range but as soon as the weather gets to be more reasonable I will be making a pot of your crab and corn chowder.

Have you ever roasted the corn before adding it to the chowder? I have played around with corn chowder on and off. Making it with different cheeses, spices, consistency and corn. I agree that canned is probably the last type you should use. It was suggested to use a tiny bit of vanilla in chowder but I have never been brave enough to try it.

Thanks,
Bryan

Back
Top Bottom