Cream of Garlic Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I had some peeled garlic left over in a jar so decided to make soup with it.
Roasted 30 peeled garlic cloves , drenched in olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, roasted at 350 degrees for about 45 min. In the meantime, I started the chicken stock , I used Minor's chicken base. After the garlic was finished roasting, I let it cool a little then mashed it all up and put it in the chicken stock and let it all cook for about 15 min, added about 1/2 cup cream... mixed it all and let it get hot for about 10 min.
I just ate some... oooh so good !! I plan to use the rest of the soup for pasta for dinner , by thicken it as a sauce, add corn starch .

I love Cream of Garlic Soup. It's such a great winter warmer, and it's the start of the most popular party I ever offered as a caterer, the Provencal Christmas Buffet.
I wouldn't thicken it with cornstarch, tho. If you want it thicker to sauce pasta, I'd just cook it down a bit more. The cornstarch could make it "pasty."

I actually used the leftover soup once to make lasagna with, instead of bechamel. :chef:

I love Cream of Garlic Soup. It's such a great winter warmer, and it's the start of the most popular party I ever offered as a caterer, the Provencal Christmas Buffet.
I wouldn't thicken it with cornstarch, tho. If you want it thicker to sauce pasta, I'd just cook it down a bit more. The cornstarch could make it "pasty."

I actually used the leftover soup once to make lasagna with, instead of bechamel. :chef:

Chef June, thank you for the suggestion about the sauce. I will do that instead of corn starch.

Roasted garlic has a sweetness to it, like caramelized onions. It's not harsh at all.

Nick Stellino did a similar soup with potatoes, chicken stock,onion, two heads of garlic, herbs and a hand held blender. No cream and the extra nutrition of the potatoes. Been a favorite at our house for many years.

Cooked the garlic whole garlic with the onion and herbs in olive oil, then added some of the stock and cubed potatoes. When potatoes are done, puree. Adjust consistency wtih remaining chicken stock, heat, correct seasonings.

What a great idea...I have some garlic in my fridge actually...might just try it tonight!!! Thanks

What does it taste like? Nutty (from roasting the garlic)? Or is it great for keeping the vampires at bay?

Garlic's flavor when it is not overdone or burnt is not overpowering. and in the cream soup base, it's downright sweet, even if it's not roasted first.

Creamy Garlic Soup is fantastic - I make it quite regularly as it's an easy soup to make and a winner with my fussy boyfriend:

3 tablespoons of butter
3-8 cloves of garlic, crushed (go for fewer cloves first until you find your comfort taste level)
1/4 cup of flour
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups of vegetable stock (I've never tried it with meat stock)
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley (although I've successfully swapped this for dried Bear Ramsons or Oregano)

Melt the butter on a low heat, then add the garlic. Saute for 5-8 minutes until soft but not brown. Whisk in the the flour, then slowly add the milk (whisk constantly). Then add stock and herbs, again whisking slowly. Let it simmer for 7-10 minutes until it begins to thicken and bubble (whisk frequently). Garnish with a little extra parsley if you like, and serve.

The garlic is far less overpowering than you'd imagine (especially if you stick to 3-4 cloves - a little goes a long way) and very very creamy.

:)

Creamy Garlic Soup is fantastic - I make it quite regularly as it's an easy soup to make and a winner with my fussy boyfriend:

3 tablespoons of butter
3-8 cloves of garlic, crushed (go for fewer cloves first until you find your comfort taste level)
1/4 cup of flour
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups of vegetable stock (I've never tried it with meat stock)
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley (although I've successfully swapped this for dried Bear Ramsons or Oregano)

Melt the butter on a low heat, then add the garlic. Saute for 5-8 minutes until soft but not brown. Whisk in the the flour, then slowly add the milk (whisk constantly). Then add stock and herbs, again whisking slowly. Let it simmer for 7-10 minutes until it begins to thicken and bubble (whisk frequently). Garnish with a little extra parsley if you like, and serve.

The garlic is far less overpowering than you'd imagine (especially if you stick to 3-4 cloves - a little goes a long way) and very very creamy.

:)

I really have to resurrect this recipe mentioned by TaxLady. This is so easy and incredibly delicious.

I had the bacon fat from a bacon sandwich left in my pan so I used that to cook about a dozen garlic cloves.

My hands have gotten painful for smashing garlic, so I just gave them a very rough chop.

When the garlic was golden, I took it out to make the white sauce and my stock was a fresh chicken stock I'd made for MsMofet's Confetti Soup.

It is a really quick and easy and I'll definitely made it again. Very rich and yummy.

It would be delicious as the base for either a clam chowder or oyster stew.

The part I especially like is that I didn't have to roast the garlic first.

Back
Top Bottom