Creamy Split Pea Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reenie

Assistant Cook
This is my very first post so please bear with me...:unsure:
Does anyone have a really awesome recipe for a thick creamy split pea soup w/o the meat or at least w/o the fat content? I know its out there somewhere as I've tasted it but don't have a recipe. Yep, I know it adds flavor but I don't need the calories. Thanks...

My pea soup is very creamy, but doesn't use any cream at all. This is my recipe, tweak it as you want. You could lose the bacon, but probably need to substitute some flavor there. You can use all olive oil and use very little of it at that. I don't have exact measurements, but I'll guess.

2 c. dried peas,
2 slices bacon
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
chicken broth (I use good, organic chicken stock, which makes a difference)
salt
pepper
paprika or cayenne
1 bay leaf
olive oil & butter

Saute the bacon in some olive oil and butter. Add vegetables and saute until onions they are soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add peas, saute some. Add in paprika, bay leaf, and broth (add enough so that the peas are covered), and set to simmer for a couple of hours. Add more water or broth as it evaporates. Check for seasonings and adjust as desired. When peas are soft, use immersion blender to blend into a nice creamy consistency. Simmer until desired thickness is achieved.

Thanks all, for the welcome and the recipes... LadyCook61, I found your link helpful not only in a basic recipe to play with but the history was interesting too... Thanks again.:)

it's so easy to make, couldn't be easier really, it's a ''go to'' soup when in a hurry that makes a tummy smile.
Welcome to DC. you'll find everything you need here, good/great source of help.

Package split peas, go through them, to ensure they're devoid of rubble/rocks/stones etc.
water to cover
3 medium potatoes, scrubbed/peeled cut into small cubes
1/2 small onion, cut up into smallish pieces
1 celery stalk
1 carrot
1 garlic clove smacked
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
In sauce pan put your peas and water to cover, the potatoes/onion/garlic, all contents from skillet, the whole celery stalk and the carrot not cut up. You'll remove later unless you want to keep them in there, I don't, but I like flavor they impart. Give good stir, cook on lowest heat covered, checking every so often to stir and incorporate everything. Check for salt and pepper as it disappears a bit when cooking down.
It cooks up quicker than you may think. Just check the liquid level because with the peas and potatoes, they suck up the water, so you may need to add more every once in a while. When done, yank out the celery and carrot and toss, then put through your food mill or blender to make smooth or leave rustic consistency.

Been to Anderson's restaurant a multitude of times, like 2 weeks ago on our way up to Cambria, it's on the way. Husband wanted Anderson's split pea soup, like from the can, but theirs in the restaurant is scary good. They serve all kinds of toppings too, which make it even better.

I just watched NL do her pea and pesto soup and since I'm home tonight alone,I'm going to make it. Takes 3 seconds flat and is simply pesto/peas/scallions/lime juice/salt/pepper/water. In the blender=done.

Here's my favorite split-pea soup that I've been tinkering with for years now. It's not meat-free, but subs a piece of low-fat smoked turkey for the usual smoked pork.

BREEZY SPLIT-PEA SOUP

One 1-pound bag of dried split green peas

Extra-Virgin olive oil

1 large yellow onion, peeled & chopped

3-4 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled & chopped

1 smoked turkey thigh

Two 32-ounce cartons chicken stock

1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Wash the peas to remove dust & sort through to remove any non-pea debris.

Heat a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium high heat. Add oil and heat, add onion, garlic, celery and carrots. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add smoked turkey, peas, salt and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, and cook, partially covered, until peas are tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove turkey from pot and remove meat from the bones. Finely shred meat and put back into the pot. Stir in sage, lemon zest and cayenne and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.

Ladle into serving bowls, garnish with chopped parsley, and serve.

Thanks, sounds terrific. I'm really curious about the pea & pesto soup recipe - please share the details.

The smoked turkey is a good call - I'll try it, thanks. I made pea soup recently & it really turned out pretty good for a first shot although I got carried away with the dried red pepper flakes - a little spicier than I expected but still edible.

Thanks, sounds terrific. I'm really curious about the pea & pesto soup recipe - please share the details.
Sure, no prob.
Here is the recipe, I tivo her express cooking show. Love Nigella Lawson, think she's beautiful and a hearty [same as me] eater. A true lover of food in my opinion.
I'm making this as part of my dinner in several hours from now. I won't be buying fresh pesto with all my basil in the yard, the onions/garlic/shallots/lemon thyme I also grow, I just make my own, it'll be easy peasy.
I've also gotten carried away with too much pepper flakes and about kilt:huh: myself.
Seriously though, some people do the split peas, water, salt and pepper to achieve their split pea soup, you can add whatever, the skies the limit.
When I spoke about Anderson's in Buellton California where they have one of their restaurants, it's the split pea soup maker, I'm sure you know that, anyway, their toppings include ham/bacon/scallions/sour cream/croutons/chives/parm cheese et al. Very fun to go in there on a freezing day and go hog wild

We have always had dumplings when we make pea soup.....just the ordinary kind made with egg, flour, water, s & p and some parsley flakes for colour. Drop them into boiling broth or water until done, then serve with the soup......most deelish!!!!

My wife introduced me to dropping some small cubes of Jarlsburg (sp) cheese into the finished split pea soup, just before eating it. Sounds a little bizzare, but gives u something to fish for while eating the soup. Sometimes Ill fry some onions and toss them in at the end too, But usually its a packaged os split peas, I used some kind of stock instead of just water, and whatever vegetables I need to get rid of ( celery, onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic).... and blend at the end. As above, Ill toss a few croutons in before eating, or , slice up a hot dog ( vegetarian of course) and throw it in too ( another thing to fish for while eating it)..

My wife introduced me to dropping some small cubes of Jarlsburg (sp) cheese into the finished split pea soup, just before eating it. Sounds a little bizzare, but gives u something to fish for while eating the soup. Sometimes Ill fry some onions and toss them in at the end too, But usually its a packaged os split peas, I used some kind of stock instead of just water, and whatever vegetables I need to get rid of ( celery, onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic).... and blend at the end. As above, Ill toss a few croutons in before eating, or , slice up a hot dog ( vegetarian of course) and throw it in too ( another thing to fish for while eating it)..

Jarlsburg cheese in pea soup?? Might sound bizarre to you but I think it's a great idea. I'm going to try it with cubes of Havarti (my favorite.) Thank your wife for me. ;)

skillet cornbread is so good with split pea soup......also have a bottle of Tabasco on hand........now that's fine cuisine at its best........recipes sound great y'all........I make it all the time in the winter

Thanks for all the good ideas - Now, does anyone have a fabulous Lentil soup recipe??? or other healthy robust kinds of legume soup recipe???

Thanks for all the good ideas - Now, does anyone have a fabulous Lentil soup recipe??? or other healthy robust kinds of legume soup recipe???
now lentil I do like a bit of smokey ham flavor in plus with that, I use a chicken broth, otherwise mostly the same as the split pea, the toppings are endless there too

Now if you're looking for an easy - but extremely delicious - green pea soup with dumplings, here's one that I've fooled around with a few times that's worthwhile:

GREEN PEA SOUP WITH BUTTER DUMPLINGS
(adapted from "The Vegetarian Epicure")

Equipment:
Pot large enough to hold all soup ingredients
Medium skillet
Pyrex or other heat-proof mixing bowl large enough to hold soup
Blender or Immersible Stick Blender

Ingredients:
Soup:
One 16-ounce bag frozen green peas
4 cups chicken broth (one carton of Swanson's)
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon brown sugar (light or dark)
1/2 cup dry white wine (I used a Sauvignon Blanc)
4-1/2 tablespoons butter
4-1/2 tablespoons flour
salt & freshly ground black pepper

Dumplings:
6 tablespoons of softened butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon ground or grated nutmeg
dash of salt

Procedure:
(First off - remove the stick of butter for the dumplings well ahead of time so that it is as soft as possible without being melted.)

For the Soup:
Cook the peas in the broth, water, & brown sugar until quite soft - about 20 minutes. Blend thoroughly with an immersion stick blender or a tradional blender. (If using a regular blender, blend NO MORE than 1/2 cup at a time, & cover/hold blender cap down with a kitchen towel or several thicknesses of paper towels. Hot liquids expand immediately, & you'll be covered with scalding hot soup if you're impatient & try to blend too much at one time. If using regular blender, pour blended batches into Pyrex mixing bowl as you go along.) Once soup is pureed, return to pot (if you used a regular blender) & season to taste with a little salt (don't overdo) & freshly ground pepper, & stir in the wine.

Melt the 4-1/2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet & stir in the 4-1/2 tablespoons of flour. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat for about 3 minutes. Then stir a couple of cups of the soup mixture into the skillet, whisk until smooth, add back into the pot with the rest of the soup, & blend well.

Dumplings:

In a mixing bowl (I use the same one I used for the soup, rinsed & dried), beat the 2 eggs, beat in the flour & soft butter, & add a dash of salt & the nutmeg.

Bring soup up to a gentle boil & drop dumpling batter by half-teaspoonfuls. When dumplings rise to the top, set timer for 5 minutes.

Enjoy.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom