Creamy Tomato Basil Mushroom Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I made this soup for a pot luck and it was wonderful. It's the first time I made this recipe, and of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I took a pretty standard tomato basil soup recipe from on line, and changed it by adding bacon and mushrooms. The result was a great soup that everyone enjoyed, even those that told me they didn't like tomato soups. Here's the GW version.:chef:

Ingredients:
24 oz. tomato puree
24 oz. crushed tomato
1/2 lb. bacon
1 tsp. kosher salt
8 cloves garlic
1 medium sized yellow onion
1 stick butter
8 oz. fresh cremini mushrooms
12 leaves fresh basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tbs. chicken soup base
8 oz. heavy cream

Place tomato puree and crushed tomato into a 2 quart sauce pan along with the soup base and salt. Cover and turn heat to medium flame. Chiffinade the basil and add to the soup, with the oregano. Stir, cover, and let simmer.

Place 1/2 of the butter into a saute' or frying pan and heat over low flame. Peel and mince the garlic. Peel and dice the onion. Place into the saute' pan and sweat the onion. Poor the onion/garlic mixture into the soup and stir. Cover and let simmer.

Wash and cut the mushrooms into bite-sized pieces. Cut the bacon into 1/2 inch squares. Fry the bacon until it just starts to brown. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the mushrooms to the pan with the bacon grease and saute' until lightly browned. Turn off the heat from the saute' pan. Fill a blender half-way full of the soup. Cover and blend until silky smooth. Pour that soup into a suitable container. Blend the rest of the soup in the same manner until it's all smooth and creamy. Return to the pot. Add the mushrooms and bacon, cover, and let simmer for ten minutes. Stir in the cream until well blended and taste the soup. Correct the seasoning and serve hot.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
Think of how great mushrooms go with pizza, or in marinara sauce. It's a natural.:D

Mushrooms make everything taste better, even ice cream!:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Good point about the pizza!!

I have a bias about tomato soup--my father used to take tomato juice and add baking soda, milk, and butter...because of that--I have an aversion to tomato soup. BUT, I love gazpacho and I took fresh tomatoes, fresh tomato juice, added fresh basil, mushrooms, garlic, green onions, and mushroom broth and made a "hot" tomato soup last fall and really liked that soup. Nothing like my dad's <g> I don't think I'm up to trying a cream tomato soup. And, of course, I added a few dashes of hot sauce to the fresh tomato soup I made. My "bad" memory about my dad's "Sunday lunch tomato soup" is the baking soda and milk. I did like the oyster crackers...It is one of those things that just doesn't cotton with me--creamed tomato soup...blame it on my dad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom