"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Dilled Carrot Soup

This is a soup I've made for years. I am not sure where I got the recipe, but it is very tasty and one that is low in calories--60 cal/3/4 c is what I have written on the recipe card.

Dilled Carrot Soup

2 c chicken broth (I use homemade)
2 c sliced carrots (about 3 medium)
1/4 c chopped fresh It. parsley
2 T chopped shallots or green onions
2 garlic cloves
2 T chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 c skim milk

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients except the dill and the milk. (I usually saute the shallots and garlic in about 2 T of the chicken broth first)
2. Bring to a soft boil, reduce heat and cover.
3. Simmer about 30 minutes until carrots are tender.
4. Blend in small batches using an immersion blender or food processor.
5. Return to pan, add milk and dill. Heat 1-2 minutes.

Serve hot with some chopped dill. You can add popcorn or a dollop of cottage cheese that you've pureed to make "mock sour cream."

Servings: 3

I have made this where I have not used dill but have added grated fresh ginger and a dash of nutmeg. When I've done that, I've used 1/2 buttermilk, 1/2 regular (whole) milk. The next time I make this, I'm going to roast the carrots, shallots, and garlic, puree them, and then add them to the broth.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 4,039
I bought some fresh dill feathers for a NY appie. There is so much in the package, and it seemed like I used a lot too. Dill is not usually something I buy, nor even grow in the garden. I like it if I have it, but don't go out of my way to look for it.

So what to do with all this dill right now.== I made an omelet w/ snipped dill and gouda and red onion.

Carrots yes. Ta-da. Some roasted carrots, butter, garlic and tossed with snipped dill. Probably won't do soup, this sounds to me just as tasty.

I can snip in an egg salad sandwich for lunch too. Thanks for the inspirations CWS.

PS. the soup does look tasty too. i just was focus on the dill part.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen
 
jkath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,448
The soup does look good indeed!

Whiskadoodle: Here's my first thought for dill (and carrots actually!) that I've been making for years:

Creamy Dilled Carrots

4 c. thinly sliced
carrots
3/4 c. water
2 Tbsp. butter (no margarine!)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. flour
1/2 c. light cream
2 Tbsp. fresh dill, minced

In a saucepan, combine carrots, water, butter, salt, sugar & pepper. Cover & simmer until carrots are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain liquid into a small saucepan; set the carrots aside & keep warm. Bring liquid to a boil. In a small bowl, combine flour & cream until smooth; slowly add to liquid, stirring constantly. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over the carrots; stir in dill. Cover & let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8
__________________
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
This looks good CW. Thank you :)
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I bought some fresh dill feathers for a NY appie. There is so much in the package, and it seemed like I used a lot too. Dill is not usually something I buy, nor even grow in the garden. I like it if I have it, but don't go out of my way to look for it.

So what to do with all this dill right now.== I made an omelet w/ snipped dill and gouda and red onion.

Carrots yes. Ta-da. Some roasted carrots, butter, garlic and tossed with snipped dill. Probably won't do soup, this sounds to me just as tasty.

I can snip in an egg salad sandwich for lunch too. Thanks for the inspirations CWS.

PS. the soup does look tasty too. i just was focus on the dill part.
Living in MN and surrounded by Scandahoovians, I'm surprised you don't use dill. My most favorite homemade chicken soup is loaded with chopped fresh dill. I think one could do this recipe using squash, beets, or sweet potatoes.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
This looks good CW. Thank you :)
But Snip--aren't carrots on your list of foods you don't really like? I'd try this with sweet potatoes or winter squash...that is, if I didn't like carrots.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
But Snip--aren't carrots on your list of foods you don't really like? I'd try this with sweet potatoes or winter squash...that is, if I didn't like carrots.
Yip! but I'm a big girl, I must eat my veggies
I was thinking of using half carrots and half beets.
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Yip! but I'm a big girl, I must eat my veggies
I was thinking of using half carrots and half beets.
Or 1/2 carrots and 1/2 winter squash?
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,720
This sounds wonderful! Thanks CWS!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Or 1/2 carrots and 1/2 winter squash?
I'll try one batch with squash and carrots and one with beets and carrots

I think with the dill in there I might even eat it with only carrots!
I don't believe in cutting foods out of my diet just because I'm not crazy about them.
I am very passionate about food and there is no such thing as a bad ingredient in my eyes. Anything can taste good if made right. I like the flavours in your soup so I will try it for sure!
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This sounds wonderful! Thanks CWS!
And low in calories to boot! You could eat all three servings and that would be about 180 - 200 calories, depending on what you use for the chicken broth and if you roast the carrots with a bit of EVOO or put them in the broth.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I'll try one batch with squash and carrots and one with beets and carrots

I think with the dill in there I might even eat it with only carrots!
I don't believe in cutting foods out of my diet just because I'm not crazy about them.
I am very passionate about food and there is no such thing as a bad ingredient in my eyes. Anything can taste good if made right. I like the flavours in your soup so I will try it for sure!
I do like it best with carrots from the garden. Store-bought carrots aren't nearly as tender or sweet as those from the garden. We have "buckets" of carrots (stored in sawdust) from the garden.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Dill goes with carrots. Also with fish!

I've printed out the recipe and added carrots to the grocery list.

I love carrots/potatoes/dill. Don't bother with gravy. It's yummy the way it is.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,042
This sounds great, CWS! Thanks!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
Darn CW, I do miss my veggie garden :(
Nothing is better than home grown!
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Or 1/2 carrots and 1/2 winter squash?
I bought a bag of young carrots for my kids today. I tried a bite and I'm on my second carrot! No bitterness at all! They are very sweet. I'll go buy some more tomorrow and try your recipe sometime this week
This is only about the third time ever I've eaten carrots that don't have a horrible bitterness to them. I didn't even like the ones I grew myself.
Maybe it's the variety.
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 25,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post

I bought a bag of young carrots for my kids today. I tried a bite and I'm on my second carrot! No bitterness at all! They are very sweet. I'll go buy some more tomorrow and try your recipe sometime this week
This is only about the third time ever I've eaten carrots that don't have a horrible bitterness to them. I didn't even like the ones I grew myself.
Maybe it's the variety.
Did you peel the previous ones? I find that the skin has the bitterness so I always peel them.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Did you peel the previous ones? I find that the skin has the bitterness so I always peel them.
Some of them but these I left the skin on and they were still sweet. I agree, the skins are more bitter but the core can be just as bitter to me.
These were a great find. They are amost honey like and half the size of regular carrots. Very good indeed! Hope my supermarket keeps stocking them. I have tons of carrot recipes I want to try but avoided because of my dislike for them.
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post

Some of them but these I left the skin on and they were still sweet. I agree, the skins are more bitter but the core can be just as bitter to me.
These were a great find. They are amost honey like and half the size of regular carrots. Very good indeed! Hope my supermarket keeps stocking them. I have tons of carrot recipes I want to try but avoided because of my dislike for them.
Are they the true "baby" carrots, not the pared down regular ones? Those tend to be sweet. Glad you found some you like, Snip!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Are they the true "baby" carrots, not the pared down regular ones? Those tend to be sweet. Glad you found some you like, Snip!
They are true baby carrots. I'm so glad I found these! I can make so much with them! I ate some raw and had some with lunch and dinner

Packet is almost finished and I ate most of them myself.
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
carrot, carrots, dill, recipe, soup

Dilled Carrot Soup This is a soup I've made for years. I am not sure where I got the recipe, but it is very tasty and one that is low in calories--60 cal/3/4 c is what I have written on the recipe card. Dilled Carrot Soup 2 c chicken broth (I use homemade) 2 c sliced carrots (about 3 medium) 1/4 c chopped fresh It. parsley 2 T chopped shallots or green onions 2 garlic cloves 2 T chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper 1/2 c skim milk Directions: 1. Combine all ingredients except the dill and the milk. (I usually saute the shallots and garlic in about 2 T of the chicken broth first) 2. Bring to a soft boil, reduce heat and cover. 3. Simmer about 30 minutes until carrots are tender. 4. Blend in small batches using an immersion blender or food processor. 5. Return to pan, add milk and dill. Heat 1-2 minutes. Serve hot with some chopped dill. You can add popcorn or a dollop of cottage cheese that you've pureed to make "mock sour cream." Servings: 3 I have made this where I have not used dill but have added grated fresh ginger and a dash of nutmeg. When I've done that, I've used 1/2 buttermilk, 1/2 regular (whole) milk. The next time I make this, I'm going to roast the carrots, shallots, and garlic, puree them, and then add them to the broth. 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.