Easy pot-sticker soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I might need to heat it more as I did not allow the oil to shimmer. I just got it good and warm.
Should I heat it more?

Yes----- and I may not have said before --- after it reaches shimmer, let it shimmer for a few minutes more. How many minutes (heading you off at the pass :)) I'm going to guess about 4-5 minutes. The important thing---- don't let the flakes change to a dark red. Just a bit of change.

Are you a Virgo?:)

Yes----- and I may not have said before --- after it reaches shimmer, let it shimmer for a few minutes more. How many minutes (heading you off at the pass :)) I'm going to guess about 4-5 minutes. The important thing---- don't let the flakes change to a dark red. Just a bit of change.

Are you a Virgo?:)

Okay. How does it look? No Im a Cancer.

Attachments

• Chili Oil.jpg
    Chili Oil.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 254
Okay. How does it look? No Im a Cancer.

Looks almost the same as what mine does. Maybe a teeny bit darker, but computer colors are deceiving.

Do I detect a bit of residue in the bottom of the bottle? That won't hurt anything but I use a very fine strainer (chinois). Poured carefully, none of that residue will get poured out ( IF there is some).

More important----- how does it taste to you? Now you're the one to decide if you need more or less chili flakes. Good job!

Even though I keep seeing this thread float to the top, I've resisted considering making it since we don't have a Costco near us.
Here's a good easy soup to make using the Costco brand (Ling Ling) pot-stickers....
Finally googled "Ling Ling" and halleluia!, they are sold quite a few places in addition to Costco: Target, Whole Paycheck (Foods), three local-to-me grocery stores! I see a trip to Target in my future...

Even though I keep seeing this thread float to the top, I've resisted considering making it since we don't have a Costco near us.

Finally googled "Ling Ling" and halleluia!, they are sold quite a few places in addition to Costco: Target, Whole Paycheck (Foods), three local-to-me grocery stores! I see a trip to Target in my future...

And now you've already got the directions! :) But that hot oil isn't only used on pot stickers in my life!

Looks almost the same as what mine does. Maybe a teeny bit darker, but computer colors are deceiving.

Do I detect a bit of residue in the bottom of the bottle? That won't hurt anything but I use a very fine strainer (chinois). Poured carefully, none of that residue will get poured out ( IF there is some).

More important----- how does it taste to you? Now you're the one to decide if you need more or less chili flakes. Good job!

No residue at all. Tastes like spicy hot oil.
I used a couple tbs frying four pot sticker s for lunch. Nice and hot, but not to hot.
I did get the nose action when I added the chili oil to the hot pan.

I made a dipping sauce with soy sauce, honey and a few pepper flakes. Heated it up in the microwave and lunch was spicy and good.
I can see many other uses for my new oil. It will always be available at my station.

Thanks.

Last edited:
No residue at all. Tastes like spicy hot oil.
I used a couple tbs frying four pot sticker s for lunch. Nice and hot, but not to hot.
I did get the nose action when I added the chili oil to the hot pan.

I made a dipping sauce with soy sauce, honey and a few pepper flakes. Heated it up in the microwave and lunch was spicy and good.
I can see many other uses for my new oil. It will always be available at my station.

Thanks.

Great----- I'm glad it was a success! "Nose action" ???? ;)

How I use my oil (for the pot stickers) is to cook them first then drizzle the oil over them after I've put them on my plate. That avoids the 'nose action'. :) But there's no wrong way to use the oil as long as you like it.

Great----- I'm glad it was a success! "Nose action" ???? ;)

How I use my oil (for the pot stickers) is to cook them first then drizzle the oil over them after I've put them on my plate. That avoids the 'nose action'. :) But there's no wrong way to use the oil as long as you like it.

Yea, That was one question regarding how you use it. I decided to try it as my cooking oil and it worked out very well.

Tonight I am making fish packets with parchment and plan to drizzle hot chili oil over the fish just before serving.
Thanks!

I had Ling Ling pot stickers yet again today for lunch. Two tbls chili oil for frying. Two tbls water to steam them at first.
Then my homemade dipping sauce. Very good.

Easy lunch except for the frying pan. Washing the pan I mean.

I had Ling Ling pot stickers yet again today for lunch. Two tbls chili oil for frying. Two tbls water to steam them at first.
Then my homemade dipping sauce. Very good.

I'll have to try them that way. But I really have to limit how many times I eat Ling Ling's a week/month because I could almost eat them everyday.

I just watched a cooking show on TV yesterday where a Food Truck made pot stickers filled with bacon-cheeseburgers, potato curry etc. Even a dessert pot sticker. Somehow that just doesn't appeal----- but why not? Guess I have to try to make some.

The Dump Truck

I really want to try Ling Ling, but the nutrition list shows it's almost 50% of your daily sodium limit with sauce. Yikes!

I really want to try Ling Ling, but the nutrition list shows it's almost 50% of your daily sodium limit with sauce. Yikes!

Yep! I don't use the sauce, I just use my homemade chili oil. No sodium in that unless dried chili flakes have some slight natural sodium in it.

Last edited:
A variety of fillings is the norm. It's a global item.

Just about every culture has a stuffed/filled dough food item. Whether it's a wonton, ravioli, pierogie, pot sticker, gyoza, etc. These are all boiled/steamed and sometimes browned in a pan. Other stuffed doughs, such as samosas, are fried.

A variety of fillings is the norm. It's a global item.

Just about every culture has a stuffed/filled dough food item. Whether it's a wonton, ravioli, pierogie, pot sticker, gyoza, etc. These are all boiled/steamed and sometimes browned in a pan. Other stuffed doughs, such as samosas, are fried.

Glad you brought up "fried". Ling Ling's instructions give a couple ways to prepare them. Deep frying is not one of them. I am asking if anyone has tried to deep fry them?
It would make it so much easier for me as my Fry Daddy is always at the ready. Full of clean oil and just needs heating.

My dipping sauce for the pot stickers is: low sodium soy sauce, honey, and a dash of pepper flakes. If I have extra time, I add crushed garlic and crushed ginger. Then heat it up a little bit and strain. Bourbon is also very good in this dipping sauce. Garnish dipping sauce with sliced green onions (scallions).
I use this same sauce as salmon marinade and finishing sauce. Its different yet the same every single time it seems as i do not measure any of the ingredients.
There is a dipping sauce that accompanies the pot stickers in the bag. I do use it. But always use it up before the pot stickers are eaten.

Glad you brought up "fried". Ling Ling's instructions give a couple ways to prepare them. Deep frying is not one of them. I am asking if anyone has tried to deep fry them?
It would make it so much easier for me as my Fry Daddy is always at the ready. Full of clean oil and just needs heating.

My dipping sauce for the pot stickers is: low sodium soy sauce, honey, and a dash of pepper flakes. If I have extra time, I add crushed garlic and crushed ginger. Then heat it up a little bit and strain. Bourbon is also very good in this dipping sauce. Garnish dipping sauce with sliced green onions (scallions).
I use this same sauce as salmon marinade and finishing sauce. Its different yet the same every single time it seems as i do not measure any of the ingredients.
There is a dipping sauce that accompanies the pot stickers in the bag. I do use it. But always use it up before the pot stickers are eaten.

I use this as a dipping sauce sometimes:

4 Tb Soy Sauce
2 Tb Sugar
2 Tb Water
1 Tb Rice Vinegar
½ Tb Sesame Oil

I am asking if anyone has tried to deep fry them?

I've never tried deep frying them but I don't see why they can't be deep fried if they've already been boiled. (Just guessing----- but wouldn't that sorta be the same as frying them?)

I bet deep frying them would work, it would make them sort of like egg rolls. Maybe try a couple and see.

Am liking the sounds of these dipping sauces!

I think deep frying them before the wrapper has been cooked would make them too hard, it's a pasta and needs to be hydrated before frying.

I use this as a dipping sauce sometimes:

4 Tb Soy Sauce
2 Tb Sugar
2 Tb Water
1 Tb Rice Vinegar
½ Tb Sesame Oil

Sounds like a plan Andy. All I need is the rice vinegar and the sesame oil.....lol
I have been using low sodium soy sauce.

I've never tried deep frying them but I don't see why they can't be deep fried if they've already been boiled. (Just guessing----- but wouldn't that sorta be the same as frying them?)

I don't boil mine before frying them. I just cover with tap water and allow to sit for a couple minutes before frying.
This was my concern for deep frying. If I have to moisten them, then deep fry them, it would be more work than the way I do them now.

I bet deep frying them would work, it would make them sort of like egg rolls. Maybe try a couple and see.
Am liking the sounds of these dipping sauces!

Yes. cave told me about the chili oil. Cave uses the chili oil for dipping. I use it for frying them. They come out great fried in chili oil.

I like the chili oil so well, I just made another 2 cups. Boy, is peanut oil expensive! Almost as expensive as olive oil.
I may try making the chili oil with another type oil for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom