Egg Drop Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
From personal research, I have found that most of the recipes on the internet for egg drop soup are just wrong. My research showed that egg drop soup is a very simple soup, with mild flavors and a special technique, none of which I found online. So here is my version of egg drop soup. It is considered an appetizer kind of soup, not something to fill you up. There are no carrots, onions, or other veggies, or meat in the soup, simply broth and cooked egg strands. It's supposed to be light, and lightly flavored, something to get you ready for the main course.

Recipe Ingredients:
4 cups either home made, or high quality chicken broth
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
four tbs. chopped chives
1/4 tsp, salt, if the broth isn't already salted.
2 large eggs1/4 tsp, if gelatin, if using store-both broth, or soup base

Heat the broth until it comes to a simmer. Add the ginger and the gelatin. Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Reduce heat until tbe broth no longer bubbles.

Beat the eggs in a bowl until smooth. Slowly drizzle the beaten egg into the soup to form long strands. Top with the chopped chives and serve.

The gelatin takes place of dissolve collagen from home made chicken broth, and fortifies the broth, giving it more nutritional value, and better texture.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That's what I think of as egg drop soup too.

"2 large eggs1/4 tsp, if gelatin, if using store-both broth, or soup base", I think something moved around when you posted.

That's what I think of as egg drop soup too.

"2 large eggs1/4 tsp, if gelatin, if using store-both broth, or soup base", I think something moved around when you posted.

Yeh, on my laptop, my left thumb tends to hover over the touch pad, and when to close, not even touching, sometimes the cursor moves on me while I'm typing. It's a definite hindrance. And sometimes, it's just a typo. I think both issues came into play on this one. Here's the correct ingredient list:

Recipe Ingredients:
4 cups either home-made, or high quality chicken broth
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
4 tbs. chopped chives
1/4 tsp, salt, if the broth isn't already salted.
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp, of gelatin, if using store-both broth, or soup base

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom