Eggplant in soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Has anyone thrown eggplant in soup? I have some that is starting to go bad and didn't get to fix it earlier. I want to clean my fridge out and making soup. That way I will not feel bad to have to throw the food out. the lettuce is one thing I have no control of, cannot recycle. Everything else I know can go into the soup. Thanks for your help.

It doesn't do well in the soup, in my opinion it's like phew, I like it fryed or baked or made into something. If you have just few extra minutes slice it, dreded it and fry it.

I have a recipe for Muligatawny that calls for eggplant (among a million other things). It is a great recipe!

Thank you

I DO so appreciate the quick response. I am in the middle of cleaning, cutting and spicing the soup I just got started. Well, looks like I am home for the day no going anywhere but then I am not expected today. Good thing. Have to check GB's recipe out. If I can spell the name I may locate it. GB you must have room full of recipes. GOOD! We all need more space for cooking. Me especially. I will salvage some of the eggplant as you suggest CharlieD but it may be only enough for one person, me. Guess I can do something for only me once in a while, don't you think?

okay if you have time, maybe you can do little bit more work. Do you happen to have some tomato, bell pepper and garlic? if yes i have an easy recipe for you.

CharlieD

What do you make the stock with? I have beef that I am adding the vegetable to. Curious about the recipe, could you share it with us anyway? I got things rolling now so I have to use the beef

rattatoulle(sp).....onions, garlic, eggplant, zucchini, green peppers,(mushrooms optional) salt and pepper, stew.....keeps in fridge for days. tastes better a day or two later. Can be eaten hot, room temp. cold.Sprinkle Parmesan on top....YUM!

Beef is good. Some times when I am in the mood for beef (not very often, I am kind of a chicken guy, no I am not a chicken) anyway, I make this clear beef stock, it has to simmer just right so stock comes out perfectly clear.

But that is not what I was talking about it.
Here is a quick egg-plant recipe.
1 eggplant
2 tomatoes
2 bell peppers
1 clove garlic or less, divided
Grated cheese.

Slice the eggplant and salt it set it a side. Chop bell peppers and tomatoes season to taste, sauté for 5-8 minutes with some olive oil. Add half of chopped garlic, cook another couple of minutes. Take of the stove, set aside.
Rinse eggplant, you can bread it or not, I do it both ways depends on my mood.
Fry on both sides, set on paper towel to get rid off extra oil. Put on a serving plate, scoop some tomato-pepper mixture on each slice, and sprinkle with rest of the garlic and cheese. Serve it hot if possible, room temp is also good.

Ohhhh CharlieD, that does sound good....would make a lovely appetizer, don't you think?....or, side dish, or, dish alone.....LOL...anyway, it sounds like a keeper...I shall try it .... thanks

CharlieD

You got a winnah there!! Thanks for sharing and good I asked. I will fix this tomorrow due to the fact I have no time to think of any other way to use it that they will like. Always t ell me can't I fix something different? Like I run a restaurant or something? We all love eggplant and I don't want to wast e it.

It is so surprising when I clean the icebox to use veggies that are getting old, how different each and every pot of soup taste so different. Never like Campbells but different. Not watery either. I threw barley and pot atoes in the mix just to be little t hick. Also loads of garlic, onions, peppers, etc. I just figured one way to get the fridge clean. Like I said the lettuce presents problem everyweek since they all eat salads everyday and can never buy exact amount, either not enough or too much. The latter is hard to accept. Trying to keep it crisp is challenge since I try t o go to st ore only once a week..

Thanks you CharlieD wish you could find out if I do it right but will do exactly as you said. You must like eggplant too.

At first when I heard of eggplant soup I was with CharlieD. But I Googled eggplant soup recipe and aubergine soup recipe and there are quite a few.

Some sound pretty tasty.

Who woulda thunk?

I also save all leftover or slightly aged veggies in a bag in the freezer. When I think I have enough, I do a soup too. Lots of pot barley, sometimes whatever can of beans I may have....even kasha sometimes....memories of my childhood.....kasha in chicken soup...anyway, try it, you'll like it.

Opps, I did not mean 1 clove of garlic, I meant 1 garlic, but you can use as much or as little as you like. Sorry about that.
Oh, and you are most welcome.

All Done

Well, the soup was great since the weather is under 30 degrees. Seemed happy to eat it. Have some leftover and I know that will be even better. I like to prepare soup one day and eat the next but with vegetables going bad I want to get them out of the way as soon as possible. Now I am grateful I have more room in the icebox to start all over. Talk about repitition! As long as they eat it up I have achieved my goal.

I will keep all the comments to use for future use. I do appreciate all your time and suggestions. You certainly do help. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom