Enjoying Making Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also find lentil soup very satisfying. Red lentils are easy to cook and puree well. A pork broth based red lentil soup with sausage and potato added after pureeing is great.

this sounded unusual to me using pork broth. Could you share your recipe with me? Appreciate it and thanks Also never knew about red lentils, where do you normally get them?

My tortilla soup is the biggest hit with my family. I make 2 versions: one with chicken and another with beef. It has lots of veggies, Mexican spices, corn tortillas, and garnished with avocado slices and a blend of Mexican cheeses. Mmmm...I think I'll make that for dinner tonight.

That looks great Dina - do you have a reecipe?

Sure. Do you have any canned tomatoes or anything? You could use boullion in a pinch as well.

I make a killer tomato based chicken stew/soup that's one of my favorites. Split pea, green pea and mint soup, Bouilliabaisse, red and white clam choudah, classic french onion. Beef stew, chili and goulash are other favs.

Would the stock cubes give a good taste? ive got some at home, but stopped using them as i find them a bit salty n fake flavoured. i always always have cannned tomatoes on hand so that would be much better ;) any soups that i could make with that would be good please ;)

Another "Souper" here! especially when the weather starts to get cool... I love love love soup! Fall always starts with Rosh Hashanah, but who needs an excuse to make Matzo Ball Soup anyway?

All fall, wither and spring I am making soups and breads to go with them. This Sept I am having a party with home made Tomato Soup and "Gourmet" Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.....

Other major favorite soups include Split Pea (either with ham or without), Many Bean Soup, Cream of (Fill in the blank with the vegetable of the moment) Soup, my grandmother's Potato Soup, Mushoom Barley, French Onion, Fish Chowder, Mussel Soup with Saffron, Bourride. I could go on for days! :chef:

Would the stock cubes give a good taste? ive got some at home, but stopped using them as i find them a bit salty n fake flavoured. i always always have cannned tomatoes on hand so that would be much better ;) any soups that i could make with that would be good please ;)

If you wanted to make a chicken soup you can use the water you boil the chicken in as the base. Here's a real simple soup base:

Bring about 8-10 cups of water to a boil. Add about 4-5 celery tops, bay leaf, black pepper corns and chicken parts. I usually buy a whole chicken and cut it into parts. The breast meat will cook before the dark meat so you'll want to remove that first then the dark meat parts. During the cooking process skim off and foam or fat that surfaces in the pot. To finish, run the broth through a fine strainer. You can use it as-is or freeze some for later.

Another easy one using veggies: Rough chop - carrot, celery, onion, asparagus (optional), leeks, 1-2 cloves whole garlic (optional) and sautee in a stock pot with olive oil over medium heat. You can keep the skin on the carrot and use the frawns of the celery for more flavor. Cook until slightly brown and carmelized. Deglaze with about 3/4 cup of good white wine. Add water, pepper corns, bay leaf, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for a couple hours. Strain through a fine sieve.

You can use the veggie stock in place of chicken stock.

Jeekinz the recipe calls for broth? isnt that the same as stock n could i leave it out? i thought it was just the tomato, would that not be sufficient enough?

Tasty recipe though. i would add some noodles :)

Jeekinz the recipe calls for broth? isnt that the same as stock n could i leave it out? i thought it was just the tomato, would that not be sufficient enough?

Tasty recipe though. i would add some noodles :)

You could swap the broth for water if you wanted. Just make sure you season the soup accordingly. Would you still add the chicken though?

Yes, noodles go great in this type of soup. You can add potatoes, corn, beans, string beans, chiles, you name it.

Brown Rice and Lentil Soup

Soup...is one of my favorite meals (not my husbands)

l and 1/2 cups diced carrots
1 cup chopped onion
one half cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced mushrooms
3 cloves garlic chopped
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 14 ounce can tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 and one half cups red lentils
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 and one-half teaspoon dried basil
1 and one-half teaspoon dried thyme
1 and one half teaspoon dried oregano
one half teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
one half cup chopped parsley
In a large kettle, combine the veggies,stock,tomatoes,lentils,rice and herbs...except for the parsley. Bring to a boil and simmer stirring occasionally for about 35 minutes or until the lentils and rice are tender. Season with salt and pepper,remove the bay leaves, add the parsley and
serve.

I make 1/2 recipe sometimes. Great for a crowd Soup Party.

I just made potato soup last night.

Attachments

• potatosoup.jpg
    potatosoup.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 118
Suzi if you want o come down here I'll make you a whole pot of any kind of soup you want! Shoot, I'll even bake a cake!

You could swap the broth for water if you wanted. Just make sure you season the soup accordingly. Would you still add the chicken though?

Yes, noodles go great in this type of soup. You can add potatoes, corn, beans, string beans, chiles, you name it.

Thank you Jeekinz!! :chef:

I'm another soup addict!

At home, I usually only make New England Clam Chowder (my own recipe, it's great!), a seafood/chicken/sausage gumbo, chicken rice soup (my other half abhors those wide egg noodles that I love), and occasionally some Chicken Tortilla. I've made Chicken Tortilla with smoked chicken as well as raw chicken. I also will occasionally make Posole, which my other half adores, but, I have to smoke the pork first, and that takes a day!

I made some of MY clam chowder at work a couple of days ago, as a "sample" for the managers to taste, since the Chef is thinking about putting an entree Clam Chowder on the menu, with huge chunks of veggies, potatoes, and clams, and served in a baked, halved, and hollowed out Acorn Squash. Odds are, when we go with the Fall Menu, I'll have to make my French Onion Soup, which is out-of-this-world good. Chef is also talking about putting a Boullabaise (sp?) on the menu. I usually have one "weekly" special soup to make, that's usually a bisque or "cream of" type soup. My homemade Cream of Mushroom that I make at work is another addicting soup.

Robo, that Chicken Corn Chowder with smoked chicken and chorizo sounds totally addicting! I added that to my "must make" list. Would you be willing to share the recipe?

Luvs, could you enlighten me as to how you got "vegan" and "beef" together in the same soup? I didn't think that was possible?

I

Luvs, could you enlighten me as to how you got "vegan" and "beef" together in the same soup? I didn't think that was possible?

yeah, allen !! i shoulda explained!
they supplied me with vegan "beef boullion" cubes. veggie cubes. i was self-concious, 'cept thier next-door sushi Chef that i was also working fer, gobbled 2 bowls.
was yummy!!!

Butternut Squash and Pear Soup

The is a great soup for fall and/or the holidays. It is chock full of flavor layers and is an elegant addition to any meal.

Butternut Squash and Pear Soup

Serves 4-6

1 medium-sized butternut squash
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1-2 Bartlett pears, peeled, seeded, and cubed
1 - 2 tsp curry powder
1/2 to1 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 good turns on the black pepper mill
salt to taste
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
cilantro or chives for garnish

1. Quarter and seed the squash and rub with olive oil, salt and pepper then roast at 400 degrees until soft, about 30-40 minutes. Let cool and scoop out the flesh. (You can do this up to 3 days ahead of time.)

2. Saute the onion and pear until very soft, about 10 minutes. Add the curry, cinnamon, and ginger and let them toast for a minute, then add the squash. Add the chicken or vegetable broth and let it all simmer for another 10 minutes.

3. Puree the soup with an immersion blender (my preferred method) or in a blender (but be careful to do it in small batches...splattering liquids are HOT!) Add the cream and stir.

4. Feel free to garnish with cilantro or chives and a little more cream.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom