Fall Soup season is back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When to lunch buffet the other day. Fancy restaurant. They served split pea soup with barely cooked inside. I have never heard of such thing. Am I wrong? By the time it was set out looked more like a porridge not soup.
The reason I mentioned this because split pea soup mentioned above.

I add pre cooked barley last minute as Im serving so it doesnt absorb al the liquid. Doesnt add much for flavor, but kinda gives ya that little surprise texture when you're least expecting it. Like a pleasant surprise. My wife also used to throw some cubed jarlsburg (sp) cheese in at the end, once again, for that little surprise . It was the kinda thing that didnt quite work, but in some bizarre way it kinda did too.

I add pre cooked barley last minute as Im serving so it doesnt absorb al the liquid. Doesnt add much for flavor, but kinda gives ya that little surprise texture when you're least expecting it. Like a pleasant surprise. My wife also used to throw some cubed jarlsburg (sp) cheese in at the end, once again, for that little surprise . It was the kinda thing that didnt quite work, but in some bizarre way it kinda did too.

I can understand cooking barely separately and then adding to a plate individually, but to cook it together is just not right. Especially in a fancy restaurant.

Oh man oven roasted pot of gumbo. I nailed it! But I left out the rice to add as needed at serving and I added black beans as a filler. It’s my lunch at work.

Oh man oven roasted pot of gumbo. I nailed it! But I left out the rice to add as needed at serving and I added black beans as a filler. It’s my lunch at work.
I’d be very interested to know how you made this gumbo, Kevin! Do you make the roux in the oven as well? Always looking for “new” methods/techniques.

Always add the rice to gumbo at serving.

As for black beans... not cajun, but if you like it, go for it.

CD

I’d be very interested to know how you made this gumbo, Kevin! Do you make the roux in the oven as well? Always looking for “new” methods/techniques.

I tried doing a roux in the oven once. It took hours to get to a dark brown (chocolate roux). I can do it in 20 minutes on the stovetop in a cast iron pan. Yeah, you have to stir constantly for 20 minutes, but have a glass of wine handy while you stir, and it's not that bad. ;)

CD

So I wrote that just after eating it and it was really yummy, but I may have jumped the gun and mock gumbo may be a better name.

Heavy Dutch oven I roasted sausage and left over turkey wings( I know not chicken) in with diced onion and garlic cloves. I added red chilli flakes, oregano, rosemary and celery seed. Tossing after a half hourish.

After everything was browned and delicious I pulled out meat to rest and slice/tear up.

I added box of chicken stock, can of herbed tomatoes, garlic powder, black pepper.

I had some leftover turnip and carrots I had to use so diced them up and added a can of black beans. Instead of a roux I added a can of Campbell tomato soup to thicken it up. If I had have made a roux I think I would have after the meat was pulled out.

So delicious but not actually a gumbo.

Mmmm, I made a must go slow cooker had a bit of leftover tacos, chilli, coined carrots, chopped onions, box of broth, can of tomatoes, can of black beans all in the slow cooker.

Oh man it turned out so good

This week homemade chicken broth, carrots, corn, onion, can of chick peas keeping the slow cooker busy.

Hope everyone else is treating themselves to nice cozy soups

Another year is coming into season for us again who’s excited. Haven’t had the time this year to do many soups. But it’s coming as the weather is cooling. Again freezer has chicken, beef and turkey but I’ll try again for some vegi soups this year to.

Cool days are great for the comfort of homemade soups!
Today, I made a cream soup at work. I took the easy way out & used a cream base but seasoned right it was flavorful.
Creamy sweet potato and pepperoni.

Soup season! One of my favorite times of the year. I've already made a batch of beef barley with mushrooms. Not sure what's next. I have about a gallon of shrimp stock so a bisque is in our future.

My favorite time of the year as well. I love making bog pots of homemade veggie soup, tossing in whatever I've got hanging around. Might do that soon, as I've got a beautiful butternut squash from a friend's garden sitting on my counter. I love adding winter squash or diced sweet potato to my veggie soups.

We love soup, too. I've made creamy chicken and wild rice soup and mushroom barley so far this year. I do a major soup cooking day a couple times a winter; all four burners of the stove have a pot of goodness simmering at the same time. Heaven!

This would be a chilled soup, correct?
No, it was a warm soup.
Start with a good chicken stock, rosemary, thyme garlic & white wine. Puree carrots( not to many, it will turn it orange)celery, peel & seed cucumbers & puree all.
Add heavy cream to stock, thinking tight with arrowroot. Lastly add the pureed vegetables.
It's wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom