Fall Soup season is back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
This cool cloudy weekend has dropped off from the summer heat. I got left home unattended with lots of vegis and plenty of beef soup bones in the freezer.

Is anybody else stoked to see this season coming around?

For me this weekend it’s a beef vegetable soup how about you guys what’s your fall soup you’re looking forward to this year?

I love soups and am looking forward to the season. I have 4-5 quarts of home made chicken stock in the freezer from last winter and I'm ready to go. My first soup may be beef barley with mushrooms. I have a couple of beef shanks ready to go.

Am so looking forward to my beef stew. Maybe next month I will be more secure on my foot and can at least do the veggies and cut up the meat. After it is made I will be lucky to get one bowl. Both boys could live on it.

RF, I love stuff from the dollar store but be sure you look at the sell by date for those peas and lentils. Nothing is worse than them being too old to soften.
I don't care much for beef soups but I sure love all the rest especially with chicken and pork. I have to make a trip to the Honey Baked Ham store to pick up a couple of ham bones for split pea soup along with the 15 bean soup we love.
Oh, a great pot of Pozole with a hunk of pork is hard to beat, not to mention chicken 'n dumplings, or noodles.

It's still very warm here, but I'm really looking forward to getting my big pretty "no name" enameled cast iron pot down from the top of the fridge for a great pot of soup on the stove.

Nice idea for a thread Kevin and it's good to see you.:chef:

Just walked into my home after walking around in NYC for a few hours on a cool rainy day. I can Honestly say that I was daydreaming about split pea soup the whole train ride home. When I saw this thread, it was kinda funny seeing some on my wavelength today. Probably won't make any today, but I was sure thinking about it.

Funny you bring the topic up, I went deep freezer diving the other day and came up with the Turkey carcass from Thanksgiving last year!
We got so busy last holiday season that I never made stock with it.
I LOVE Turkey soup, all kinds, but I think I'll make Congee or what we call Jook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvEJ61KlaKI
DH does not care for this soup, so maybe I'll do a small batch just me moi and then a small Turkey and Wild Rice for him
:chef:

Funny you bring the topic up, I went deep freezer diving the other day and came up with the Turkey carcass from Thanksgiving last year!
We got so busy last holiday season that I never made stock with it.
I LOVE Turkey soup, all kinds, but I think I'll make Congee or what we call Jook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvEJ61KlaKI
DH does not care for this soup, so maybe I'll do a small batch just me moi and then a small Turkey and Wild Rice for him
:chef:

Kgirl, I've seen many of this guy's video's from you I think. He's an excellent teacher and I really enjoy the two of them. I'm definitely looking forward to doing this recipe with the pork hash, and chicken carcass.

It sounds really different, and an unusual soup for me. :yum: Thanks!

This cool cloudy weekend has dropped off from the summer heat. I got left home unattended with lots of vegis and plenty of beef soup bones in the freezer.

For me this weekend it’s a beef vegetable soup how about you guys what’s your fall soup you’re looking forward to this year?

Omigosh! Sure wish it were mild enough to cook soup. Our temps are still in the upper 80s and 90s. I soooooooo want to make soup, stew...whatever. But Mother Nature hasn't given me the "go ahead."

Emotionally I'm ready but the weather isn't cooperating. Maybe in a few weeks I'll be preparing some of those lovely soupy things.

Kgirl, I've seen many of this guy's video's from you I think. He's an excellent teacher and I really enjoy the two of them. I'm definitely looking forward to doing this recipe with the pork hash, and chicken carcass.

It sounds really different, and an unusual soup for me. :yum: Thanks!

Chef Keoni Chang is an excellent teacher, yeah?
And yes, Chicken Jook or Congee is just as delicious; the pork hash,
well, that's a whole other bag of goodness!
I have some in the freeze in fact that I made last December for Mom.
There's other goodies you can add to Jook, like Shitake Mushrroms, Green Onions, extra chopped Ginger Root...
OKAY, STOP!
It's still too hot for soup, it's been 95 as a high all week here, but I'M READY!!!

Kayelle, let me know if you do try this soup :yum:

I love autumn soups. My favorite are creamed veggie soups, like butternut squash with roasted fennel and sweet potatoes. Cream of mushroom is a great comfort, too. And I will make gumbo at least once during the season.

I don’t have enough room in my tiny freezer to make stock and freeze it, so I just use that lazy cook’s alternative, Swanson’s Natural Goodness, or whatever it’s called. I’ve also got several flavors of Better Than Buillion that I use very sparingly.

I love soups too, and all that you mentioned, Joel. :yum: I also have a small freezer, otherwise I'd stock up on stock. :)

I've been looking around at Home Depot for freezers. I think this is the year that I might splurge and buy either a chest freezer or an upright for the garage.

So many options but the first I make is usually potato and leek soup. It’s much more popular in French cooking but I decided to try it one day and everyone who has tasted it since absolutely loves it. I’ve used a combination of several recipes but Alton Browns is a good go-to.

For me, it is all about Gumbo. We are not quite there yet, but when it does get cool enough, I gotta' make me some Gumbo, the way I learned to make it from my "unofficial "moms" down in Port Arthur. My dog sitter is in her seventies, and from Baton Rouge, and I told her that I want to make gumbo with her this year. She can cook, big time. Part of it is wanting to show her that I can make a chocolate roux. :chef:

I also make my own Tasso, since you can't buy it here. Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman.

CD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom