Fall Soup season is back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amen, Kayelle! I use the Aldi knock-off melting cheese in my cauliflower soup. I was going to make that this weekend until I found out that the head of cauliflower I picked up was miss-priced and nearly twice of what I thought it would be. :ermm: I can wait.

So many options but the first I make is usually potato and leek soup...
Love potato and leek soup! So smooth and creamy when blended with a stick blender, AKA motorboat.

Welcome aboard the DC train, JenF. I hope you like it here.

I follow my mother's way of collecting any veg left at the end of the week and making soups for the freezer. I put individual portions in small Lock & Lock boxes so there's always a quick lunch or supper. That way I always have a variety of soups, as I buy veg in season as far as possible.

No Fall here, just the beginning of "Tourist" season. We don't limit our soup making to specific times of year. Been thinking about homemade French Onion Soup.:yum:

True, I do make soup all year as well but when the weather cools off it just hits the spot differently

I live in SE Florida. We only have Summer and Tourist season.

I love soup season. I have been wandering the streets in both Mpls & St Paul looking for who makes a decent bowl of chili. I can't quite commit to making a whole pot at home yet. I have not a problem in the least eating it once it's made. It just seems like it's a lot. It's not. Guess I forget how long ago a short 6 months past is? Chili with cornbread. Yum.

But first I want to try an Italian sausage/white bean soup recipe I found this summer.

And I am hungry for split pea soup. Funny, I use the same size pot as for making chili.

Pea soup and onion soup are my families favorite. I love many kinds of soup. This year we had a huge potato crop, so Ill be looking for ways to use them up. Potato/ leek is one. I make another which is similar to an old Ratner's potato soup. ( we've also been having mashed potatoes 2 times a week too).

I love soup season. I have been wandering the streets in both Mpls & St Paul looking for who makes a decent bowl of chili. I can't quite commit to making a whole pot at home yet. I have not a problem in the least eating it once it's made. It just seems like it's a lot. It's not. Guess I forget how long ago a short 6 months past is? Chili with cornbread. Yum.

But first I want to try an Italian sausage/white bean soup recipe I found this summer.

And I am hungry for split pea soup. Funny, I use the same size pot as for making chili.

Whiska, is it something like Zuppa Tuscana? That's just about my favorite soup of all time and I make mine with white beans rather than potatoes. :yum:

Last edited:
Amen, Kayelle! I use the Aldi knock-off melting cheese in my cauliflower soup. I was going to make that this weekend until I found out that the head of cauliflower I picked up was miss-priced and nearly twice of what I thought it would be. :ermm: I can wait.

Love potato and leek soup! So smooth and creamy when blended with a stick blender, AKA motorboat.

Welcome aboard the DC train, JenF. I hope you like it here.

Thanks! Still trying to figure out how this all works lol..and yes the immersion blender is a must, never heard it called motorboat hah!

Had a bowl of beef barley tonight. I go to the local restaurant and get their soup of the day most nights. Not heating up my kitchen and I get a variety. Otherwise I cook enough for an army and have no room in my freezer for other things I like.

I had some store bought mushroom barley tonight ( by surprise. Didnt realize my sister was serving, but on a cold rainy day like today, it was more than welcome). Not as good as home made, but sure hit the spot!!

Once it gets cooler I will be back to making my own soups. Have to empty the chest freezer first!

Need to make some beef barley pretty soon, nights are starting to cool down, and it's getting darker faster here along the river. Beer cheese soup like the little coffee shop downtown makes, though not often enough. And I have no qualms using Velveeta in cheesy soups either.

rhymes

In reply to the question" is [the Italian Sausage/ Bean soup] something like Zuppa Tuscana? That's just about my favorite soup of all time and I make mine with white beans rather than potatoes".

Can't say it is or is not. I haven't yet had the privilege tasting Zuppa Tuscana.

But now that I see a recipe, I think I would like to try this too.

I was trying to think what to sub for the pasta in my recipe. Broccoli seems like a good idea, and now that I see spinach as a possibility, that seems like an even better idea. I think the word kale rhymes with that old west word cowboys use when talking to their horse = kale = whoa.

I went ahead and posted the Italian Sausage Bean soup recipe.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/italian-sausage-and-bean-soup-100693.html#post1563034

Back
Top Bottom