Fall Soup season is back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking forward to making a pot full of chicken dumpling soup, comfort food on these cold nights.

Today I'm tending a pot of pork Pozole Verde with three kinds of peppers and two colors of hominy. It smells wonderful and I love tending a pot and tasting as I go.

We're still in the 70s, so hot soup meals aren't on our menu quiet yet. I'm sooooo ready for soup/stew/chili meals though.

However, I just couldn't resist and made a huge pot of homemade chicken noodle soup last night.

Our weather was still a bit too warm for it, but we enjoyed it just the same.

As the kid I would only eat, rather drink, pure broth, chicken or beef, anything else was pushed aside. Nowadays the thicker the soup with veggies the better. Don't need a second course. Just give me a hearty bowl of soup.

I was checking what was left in my herb garden. There was some beautiful sage and Thyme.
So I chopped up some of both. I used them in my chicken vegetable noodle soup.
BAD move. The sage stayed exactly the size I chopped and each piece is a dark brown. Ugly looking.
The soup is excellent. Those brown spots in it, have made me want to toss it out.
My wife told me I was acting silly.

Just a warning to others. Leave the sage whole and remove it when the soup is done. I am thinking maybe to strain it? Maybe at least get most/some of the sage out

Last edited:
I made kielbasa-potato soup earlier this week. I first had it in a restaurant in Potsdam, Germany, when we were visiting our former exchange students. It really hits the spot when it's cool outside.
1030181847a.jpg1101182015a.jpg

I actually posted it a few years ago. I make a half recipe for the two of us: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/german-potato-and-sausage-soup-88674.html

This time, I added a couple bay leaves and probably a half teaspoon of dried thyme. I had some extra thyme I used for something else that I stuck in a dry vase on the windowsill, so I threw that in to use it up.
Thank you. I have now saved it. I forgot about this. I have been using the recipe for Andy's Sausage Soup, but this will make a nice change.

I actually posted it a few years ago. I make a half recipe for the two of us: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/german-potato-and-sausage-soup-88674.html

This time, I added a couple bay leaves and probably a half teaspoon of dried thyme. I had some extra thyme I used for something else that I stuck in a dry vase on the windowsill, so I threw that in to use it up.

They stole the recipe from Ukraine. It is a typical Ukrainian poor man's soup. As simple as it gets, and as filling as it gets. ;)

I don’t if what I made last night is gumbo. Dark roux made with Spam drippings and butter, the Trinity, Cajun seasoning and a little thyme, clam juice and Swenson’s chicken stock, diced browned Spam and chopped clams, and a wild rice mix. It was very tasty, but I don’t know if that really classifies as a gumbo!

I don’t if what I made last night is gumbo. Dark roux made with Spam drippings and butter, the Trinity, Cajun seasoning and a little thyme, clam juice and Swenson’s chicken stock, diced browned Spam and chopped clams, and a wild rice mix. It was very tasty, but I don’t know if that really classifies as a gumbo!
Sounds like a personal take on gumbo to me! [emoji38]

Sounds like a personal take on gumbo to me! [emoji38]
Thanks! That’s what I thought. The wild rice added a nice, nutty flavor.

I’ve always thought that the base of a gumbo is the roux, the Trinity, and Cajun spice blend. What you add afterwards is superfluous, as gumbo was originally created to use ingredients you have on hand.

Made some split pea soup the other day.
First time this season, never a recipe, just split peas and whatever veggies I need to clean out from the produce drawer.

This time was an equal mix of green and yellow split peas
Carrot, celery, onion, garlic or two, potato
Liquid was veggie stock
A hint of liquid smoke ( since I don't use ham hocks)
and salt and pepper as needed.
Blend until smooth.

***MY wife likes barley in it, so I cooked up some barley separately, and she tossed it in at the end in her bowl. I also like frying up some onions, and mixing it in to the finished products***

I must say, my proportions were right on this time around. Probably the best pea soup I made in awhile. Only problem with getting it right first time around for the season, is that its al down hill from here :)

I usually blend in a little dill also, but I forgot .

When to lunch buffet the other day. Fancy restaurant. They served split pea soup with barely cooked inside. I have never heard of such thing. Am I wrong? By the time it was set out looked more like a porridge not soup.
The reason I mentioned this because split pea soup mentioned above.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom