Fast, easy, cheap and really tasty soup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
This was a last minute soup I knocked together that ended up tasting really good and it was filling.

No meat and it was pretty spicy.

1 16oz can of pinto beans (Drained)

1 package of Ramen Noodles (throw out the salt/msg in the little packages)

1 package of Kikkoman Seaweed Soup (Again, throw out the salt/msg in the little package)

1 tablespoon of Weber Roasted Garlic and Herb seasoning

1 tablespoon of Weber Smokey Mesquite seasoning

1/2 teaspoon of ground Coriander

1 tablespoon of dried parsley

4 cups of boiling water

I put the Ramen noodles into the 4 cups of boiling water and boiled them for 2 minutes.

I let the noodles sit in the microwave for an hour to absorb the water.

Then I added everything else and brought it back to a boil.

Let it sit for 30 minutes for the seasonings to meld and hydrate.

Stirred it good and ate.

Surprisingly tasty.

Letting the noodles absorb the water is a great way to lose weight. They fill you up real fast and you're really only eating water, mostly. For lunch, it's a fine way to keep away from the more fattening meals.

My Doc wants me to lose 50 pounds. I know it's either cut off a leg or eat better, so I decided to try eating better first....:ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
i was with you until you said soup! :cool:

i guess we're not having roast leg of timothy, either?

It sounds really good, but I sure would save those seasoning packets to use in the water for rice, or noodles.:chef:

It sounds really good, but I sure would save those seasoning packets to use in the water for rice, or noodles.:chef:
It's my belief that salt and msg are so bad for me that it's not worth using them.:ohmy:

I must have 100 seasonings in my collection. I have no problem doing with very little salt and absolutely no msg if I can help it.:ermm:

That's my reasoning anyway...:rolleyes:

ramen, as a base, can yield some pretty stellar CHEAP meals, and I am no stranger to them. . .well, it's been over a decade, but I remember the goodness fondly.

What you are lacking in MSG and sodium content by ditching the prefab packets, are you sure you are not recouping them right back by using other prefab seasoning mixes? A lot of that stuff is loaded with MSG.

ramen, as a base, can yield some pretty stellar CHEAP meals, and I am no stranger to them. . .well, it's been over a decade, but I remember the goodness fondly.

What you are lacking in MSG and sodium content by ditching the prefab packets, are you sure you are not recouping them right back by using other prefab seasoning mixes? A lot of that stuff is loaded with MSG.

The salt is right up there in the two I mentioned, but no msg. I eat only one meal each day, so my "per/meal" allowances are higher than most.

I don't use msg. The stuff makes my heart go crazy and I get really dizzy after eating it.

The salt in these may be too high for some people.

I do love my noodle meals. I use all kinds of noodles. The ramen packages are handy for known quantity, one package equals one meal type thinking for me. Cost of noodles has never been a consideration to me.

Sorry you can't use the packets. After I do, I save at least one package worth of the noodles. I like them broken up and added to soup occasionally. I like the flavor. I usually have a few packages on hand for a quick meal. Sometimes you just want a Ramen fix.

I take it you can't buy ramen noodles plain, without the flavor packets?
I've never had them.

I am low carbing (I have lost 40 pounds this year!) so I would have to leave the ramen out, but the rest sounds tasty.

Here is a tasty, quick stew with zucchini and quinoa: QUINOA VEGETARIAN STEW | QUINOA RECIPES

Congratulations on your weight loss! That's a LOT! So far, I've lost about 25 pounds and still have 40-50 to go before I'm where the Doc and I want me to be.

I lose about a pound a week. Some weeks more, some weeks less.

Thanks for the recipe! It looks real good.

Great job on your 25 lb loss, Timothy!

Thanks Dawgluver! I was skinny my whole life until the Doc put me on BP meds. Then I gained and gained and gained from 150 to 230 pounds. :ohmy:

I'm back to 204 at the moment and continue to drop weight as I try to stay off the breads and fats that got me in trouble this time. :(

It's working. I can see my toes without a mirror now...:LOL:

If you have a good Asian Market you can get the Ramen type noodles without the seasoning. But, it's a huge bundle and no portioning, you just break off what you want. It made about 20 servings of noodles for $3.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom