Faux French Onion Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
It's cold out today and I was blessed with inclement weather so got to sleep in. Unfortunately, I did not think the weather would be nasty enough to grant me a day home and so I skipped the supermarket.

A long time ago, my friend Christine served me a French Onion Soup that was amazing. When I got the recipe from her, I simply sat and blinked at her because I could not believe it was so easy. Honestly, if you crock this soup up, throw in a toasted baguette, and top it with Gruyere cheese to brown under a broiler, no one will know that you did not slave for hours on it.

So, how to make it:
1/2 cup butter (You can use 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1/4 butter, if the olive oil is awesome.)
3 onions - Yellow onions work well but you can use a mix.
3 Tablespoons of WYLER'S Beef Bouillon cubes or granules - This is the only place that I would use no substitutions. If you cannot find it, Amazon has it!
1 and 1/2 teaspoons Worcester sauce
Sweetener equal to 1 teaspoon of sugar or just use sugar
6 cups of water
Salt to taste, if needed

Cheese or Toast to add as you like.

Saute the onions in the butter until they are limp. Toss in everything else. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer about 30 to 45 minutes. Top with toasted bread and cheese, and serve. (Toast the cheese under the broiler if striving to get the real effect.)

I skipped the toast today and only had mozzarella cheese on-hand. It was still yummy. I've had it with provolone too. And it is simply good on its own as an onion soup.

~Kathleen

Last edited:
This sounds delicious, Kathleen. Thank you so much for sharing. Copied and saved. :yum::chef:

I have two boys that will kill for onion soup. I won't tell them the truth. Let them think I stood over the stove all day. :angel:

Wait.. what? That wasn't all day in the kitchen soup? What?

:mrgreen:

It is good soup....

and yes, I knew.

I have two boys that will kill for onion soup. I won't tell them the truth. Let them think I stood over the stove all day. :angel:

By using the mandolin to slice the onions, the soup was cooking in just a few minutes. I couldn't believe how quick and easy it was.

I love soup, and crave it at times. This recipe is going to be my go to for a quick fix.

Luckily my Walmart has the granulated boullion so I always have it on hand.

I confess I made a couple of alterations.

I used a teaspoon of brown sugar because it's robust, and a teaspoon to 6 cups of water isn't enough to mess up my glucose levels

I also added 3 TB of Sherry.

The one thing I tried that didn't work well, was a generous sprinkle of Penzey's Roasted Garlic.

I had tasted the soup before and after the garlic, and I liked it better without it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom