Favorite Summer Soups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ps8

Senior Cook
When I think of making/eating soups, I tend to think fall and winter. But, surely there are some good summer ones, too. So, what are your favorite soups to fix in the summer?

I love soups hot or cold, but in summer I lean toward the chilled ones..We like a variety of things from a cool,creamy with blended avocado,serrano chiles,onions,chicx stock, lime juice, garlic,cilantro, salt and pepper ,or chilled cucumber dill soup, a creamy gazpacho, if you like blueberrys there is one that is good,raspberry soup,czntaloupe soup..If any interest you, let me know.
kadesma:)

Mmmmm. Cucumber Soup - made w cukes, small shells, chicken broth, mint, parsley, sour cream, chives, dill & garlic. Let me know if you would like the recipe.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/images/PressRoom_828-SoupHrbCucmb.jpg

Another is tomato - avocados, chopped tomatoes, garlic, and corn.

Carrot & Ginger w a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.

Greek Lemon Soup (Avgolemono) - chicken broth, eggs, rice & lemon juice.

Vichyssoise (Cold Potato soup) - Cream, leeks, onions, potatoes and chicken stock.

This one looks dee-lish:

Summer Squash Lemon Thyme Soup

Last edited:
I too enjoy hot soups year round, and I make soup at least 4 times a week. Like "redkitty", I'm especially fond of miso based soups, which I often make for myself even though I've prepared another type for my husband.

My usual add-ins to the miso base are: carrot, scallions, tofu, sea weed, ginger, fish sauce, soya sauce, rice wine vinegar and always a generous swirl of Sriracha hot sauce. Sometimes I also add celery, edamame, sweet red pepper, mushroom, rice noodles... basically whatever my mood dictates.

As far as chilled soups go, my favourites include:
- lettuce and fresh green pea purée: tarragon scented with a tang of yoghurt
- cream of cauliflower: aromatized with exotic spices and garnished with tart Granny Smith apple (that's the picture in my current avatar)
- cucumber velouté: seasoned with fresh mint and garnished with chives

I also love some of the others mentioned above, particularly:
- avgolemono
- gazpacho
- fresh tomato (basil scented)
- carrot and ginger purée
- cream of leek and potato (AKA Vichyssoise) and a couple of variations on the theme: one with sorrel (if I can get it) and another using watercress.

Mmmmmm... I'm getting very hungry :)

*edited typos...again!

Last edited:
another vote for gazpacho.

a co-worker makes the best i've ever had. it's mostly tomatoes, several kinds of peppers, celery, and onions.
he swears that his secret is avoiding the convenience of food processors and chopping everything into teeny bits by hand, and using only garden fresh and ripened ingredients

Made this by accident. . . I had a bunch of ingredients on hand that I intended to use for a soup recipe I found in one of my cookbooks. I realized I'd somehow read the recipe wrong, so I improvised with what I had and came up with this:

Light Tomato and Wine Soup

1/2 cup minced onion
1/3 cup slivered fresh basil
3 cups plus 3 T. chicken stock, defatted
1/2 cup dry white wine
5 medium whole tomatoes, peeled and puréed (~ 14 oz. canned diced tomatoes)
1 t. sugar
1 T. tomato paste
1 T. lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Sauté onion and basil in 3 T. of stock until stock evaporates. Add the broth, wine, tomato purée, sugar, tomato paste, and lemon juice. Cook 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

It's clear, light, and very yummy! :chef:

I've never been a fan of cold soups except for Gazpacho, which I really love - especially if it's made nice & spicy.

As far as hot soups I like during the warmer months, I enjoy any of the relatively clear Asian soups like Miso, Egg Drop, Wonton, etc. I also really like a good Tomato Basil when the fresh tomatoes are coming in & the fresh basil is in its prime.

Back
Top Bottom