Favorite "Under-The-Weather" Soups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aria said:
kadesma, My Mom did what your mother-in-law did. I do it today. It still works.
Yes it does, I still love it even when I'm feeling great..I made it for my grandson often when he was teething, it seemed to just calm him and sooth his poor little gums. And he loves it, Ethan and Carson both, Carson, will go to the refridgerator, and point, when I open it he points to the eggs, then we make a trip to the pantry, pointing out the broth and pasta one at a time.. If Carson ever decides to talk and he can, he is gonna have me running in circles:LOL:
kadesma

Well, since both husband & I have been a bit under the weather lately, & he's coming down with a whopping cold, I threw together a quick vegetable soup last night for dinner that - for an impromptu throw-together - came out very good.

I roughly chopped 4 cloves of garlic, one small onion, one small red bell pepper, & one celery stalk & sauteed them just until soft in some extra-virgin olive oil. I then added 2 cartons of Swanson's chicken broth & brought it to a boil. Then added one unpeeled diced russet potato & continued simmering until potatoe was just tender. Next additions were all Hanover-brand (my favorite!) frozen veggies: about 1/2 a bag of petite peas, 1/2 a bag of baby lima beans, half a bag of whole slim Haricot-Vert-type green & wax beans & thin baby finger-length carrots. Final additions were a small can of corn, drained; half a bag of fresh baby spinach leaves; & 2 small zucchini squash, cut into small chunks. Seasoned with a little salt, black pepper, & about a tablespoon of dry sherry, & added freshly grated parmesan at serving time.

(Had to edit to add the garlic. That's the problem when you just throw something together. The next day you don't remember what the heck you did - lol!!!)

Last edited:
When I'm sick I love Chicken Soup or Miso Soup. In her book "A Spoonful of Ginger," Nina Simonds has a recipe for Congee that is great for giving you energy when you have to "keep on" while sick... It also tastes great.

Oooh yes - forgot all about Miso Soup. Although I do enjoy making it from scratch, I have to admit that if/when I'm ill, I have happily relied on my boxes of "instant" miso soup, especially if I have some tofu & fresh scallions I can cube up into it. Although if an upset stomach is part of the picture, I'll usually leave the scallions out - lol!!

Chicken noodle. Strange but when I'm sick I really like the salty Campbells version. Otherwise (when I'm healthy) I think it's kind of, well, icky!

Hey - nothing wrong with that!! Commercial chicken-noodle soup is big-time comfort food!!

My favorites for sick times are both Liptons &/or Mrs. Grass's chicken soup mixes. Hot, flavorful, salty, & good for what ails ya - lol!!! I don't know if Mrs. Grass's still does this, but they used to have a little "golden egg" of chicken fat/stock in every box, & my mom used to let me add that little egg when she was making the soup for me. What can I tell you - I was an easy-to-please kid - lol!!!

BreezyCooking said:
Hey - nothing wrong with that!! Commercial chicken-noodle soup is big-time comfort food!!

My favorites for sick times are both Liptons &/or Mrs. Grass's chicken soup mixes. Hot, flavorful, salty, & good for what ails ya - lol!!! I don't know if Mrs. Grass's still does this, but they used to have a little "golden egg" of chicken fat/stock in every box, & my mom used to let me add that little egg when she was making the soup for me. What can I tell you - I was an easy-to-please kid - lol!!!

Those are also my favorites and I like to add those little round crackers, (I think they are called Oyster crackers ).
As for the Mrs. Grass soup mix, it still has the "Golden Nugget". I just bought a box the other day. Yummy.:)

I am usually not much of a soup person, but when I suffer with influenza, my usual overzealous appetite disappears in a hurry and just about all I can manage is some yogurt, ice cream and fruit juice, nothing solid wants to go in. When I was down last time last month, Cris really wanted to put something warm in me, he made a thick, creamy potato soup type thing, more like a very runny mashed potatoes, flavoured with sautèed onion and parmigiano. I could actually eat it, indeed quite comforting.

PytnPlace said:
Chicken noodle. Strange but when I'm sick I really like the salty Campbells version. Otherwise (when I'm healthy) I think it's kind of, well, icky!

We call it the "sicky soup" and "can I have some of that soup with the little strings in it." If you are not the sick one, it really stinks when you open the can.

Can't really offer any under-the-weather soup, etc. It's been so long since Buck and I were sick (literally years and years) that we really only prepare soups for pleasure. The last time Buck was sick with a cold/flu was sometime in the late '70s. I made him plenty of chicken soup then. Seems to be a universal make-you-feel-better sort of soup. It's good stuff no matter how you feel.

I usually have miso in the fridge for stir fries so it's the easiest quick soup for me to make. Some boiling water, a quick stir, a bit of chopped scallion and I have soup. DW also likes chicken soup made from soup base, but it's not as quick because she adds veggies and pasta that have to cook for a while.

Hot & sour clears up my sinuses, but i can always count on some split pea with fried onions, croutons and little chunks of jarlsberg cheese ( I like when the little buggers start to melt).

larry

When I'm under-the-weather I like a nice flavorful chicken broth with the little, skinny egg noodles. Hits the spot for sure!

Not very creative I know but HEY, I'm sick! :)

A good brothy chicken soup, but modified with added beaten egg drizzled into it after I remove it from the heat, and with a couple of good hot peppers thrown in to help clear my sinuses.:chef: Has to have lots of celery, onion, and flavor. I can have rice or noodles, but that's not a requirement as the egg threads are very comforting and feel great in my mouth. Less carbs too.

And the soup should have a definite viscosity from the dissolved collagen. I want real chicken soup.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom