Freezing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rede2learn

Assistant Cook
I just made some ham and bean soup from ham that was frozen the day after Christmas. I might be able to finish it in a couple of days if we have company over. But it is a lot. Is it ok to freeze this soup that has ham in it that has previously been cooked, frozen, and then made in soup?

Thanks for any replies.

No problem at all. Freeze it in serving sized portions and just take out what you need. I always make large batches of soups and freeze portioned amounts. That includes hama nd bean soup and split pea with ham, among others.

That quick reply is why I love this site. I didn't want to freeze this ham again and get anyone that ate it later sick. That would be much worse than cooking something that didn't taste any good.

Thanks for the help.

Refreezing meat is not discouraged because of dangers but for a deterioration of texture.

If you freeze a piece of fresh meat then defrost it and refreeze it, the texture of the still raw meat will suffer. That's why they say to cook it before refreezing. The same goes for a cooked ham that is frozen then thawed to add to a soup. As long the meat was kept properly refrigerated all the time, ther won;t be a problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom