Freezing soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It freezes great. I divide my leftover soup into 1.5-2 cup portions and put it in ziplock bags so when I want some for lunch or dinner, I don't have to thaw the whole thing.

I agree with all. Yes, you can freeze any soup. Be sure to leave some space for freezing expansion and all is well. Always nice to have some frozen soup in the freezer.

Freeze away. I've been freezing all kinds of soups for many, many years with no adverse consequences. Right now I have 3 different kinds of soup in my freezer awaiting a busy day or a day when I just want soup.

Yup - freezes great!!

For thick soups like split pea, & chili & stuff, sometimes I'll line a individual serving-size bowl with plastic wrap, pour in the cooled soup, & freeze it. I then fold the wrap over the top, remove it from the bowl & freeze it along with others in a Ziploc bag.

For thawing I just run some hot water over the plastic wrap, pop the soup serving minus the plastic back in the same bowl I froze it in, & thaw & reheat it in that. No fuss, no muss.

I've frozen a few soups in my time. I like to use a gallon ziplock baggie, and will pour maybe two quarts into the bag, and freeze. Being in a bag that big, if you lay it flat, it's rather thin, and thaws rapidly.

If you freeze a soup with potatoes in it, when you thaw and reheat that soup, that potatoes will have a mealy, grainy texture, but will taste OK.

I've got some Posole in my freezer right now. I'm wondering if the hominy will also have a mealy texture.

AllenOK said:
I've got some Posole in my freezer right now. I'm wondering if the hominy will also have a mealy texture.

Just curious, what was the hominy like post freezing?

AllenOK said:
If you freeze a soup with potatoes in it, when you thaw and reheat that soup, that potatoes will have a mealy, grainy texture, but will taste OK.

EXACTLY! I knew I couldn't be the only one that experienced this! :)

I make huge batches of soup in the crock pot and end up freezing 2 cup portions in small zip-loc freezer bags. I push all the air out, and lay them flat to freeze. However, every time I’ve tried freezing a soup or stew with potatoes in it, I’ve had this problem. Further, it seems the potatoes break down and release extra starch into the soup and alter the flavor.

I finally decided to remove all the potatoes before freezing one time, and it worked great. The thawed soup tasted as good as the day I made it. The last batch of soup I made, I didn’t put potatoes in at all. In fact, I’ve several bags of it in the freezer right now.

Anyone have any ideas about this potato freezing issue? Maybe it’s the type of potatoes I’m using. The last time it was Idaho Russets. There’s a local produce guy that sells fantastic Kennebecs that I think I might try....but I almost hate to use those great potatoes in a soup.

You know, I can't even remember if I ever thawed that Posole out or not. I think I did, as I don't remember seeing it anywhere in my freezer. I can't remember what the texture was like.

Keltin, I'm not sure what the deal is, exactly, with mealy pototaoes that have been frozen then thawed, reheated, and served.

French Fries, Hash browns, etc., get frozen and cooked all the time without adverse affects. Maybe it is the variety of potatoes, but then, russets are used for the two examples I listed anyways.

There's only one way to find out. Buy some and try it.

I don't have any problem with potatoes in soups so maybe it is the varieties. I normally use Ruby Lous or Redskins (or the same type whatever is in season). Likewise don't have a problem with shepard's pies. Only soup I have any issues with is the prawn bisque I made. Have to smother with paprika after I reheat and don't drink the last bit as it is too grainy. But, hey, don't intend to make that ever again anyway as the smell of frying prawn brains stunk the house out for a week!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom