French-Canadian Pea Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I was first introduced to French-Canadian Pea Soup by my Dad. The product was Habitant Pea soup. It was great straight out of the can. When I could eat legumes, I enjoyed this product immensely. So me being me, I had to figure out how to make it. This is my version of this wonderfully different pea soup. It is just as good as the green, split pea soups we are all familiar with, but tastes way different. This soup will warm you to your bones, so good. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
1 lb. dried, yellw whole peas
8 cups water
1 lb. ham hock
1 Large yellow onion large, chopped
½ cup celery, chopped
¼ cup carrots, grated
1 bay leafs
1 tsp. summer savory
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 stick butter.

Place the ham hock into your pressure cooker, or slow cooker and cook unti fall-off-the-bone tender. Remove from the cooking vessel. Add all other ingredients to the pot and cover with broth from the cooked ham hock, plus enough water to cover by two inches. Cover and bring to a simmer. Remove the meat from the ham hock and add to the soup. Continue cooking until the peas are soft.

When the soups is done, add the butter and stir in for a richer flavor. Serve with a crust bread. The soup should be thinner than split pea soup, but not watery either. The pepper is rut really sets this soup apart, along with the mild flavor of the whole, dried yellow pe You can garnish with fresh parsley if you so desire.as. A little cream can be added if you want, but isn't required.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Hi Chief, another great sounding recipe to try. Guess what? Pea soup is DH's favorite soup, so you know this is copied and going in the Make Soon folder. Thanks again, will get back to you. Keep up the good work. lol

Is it the yellow split-peas that make this "French-Canadian"?

What makes it French-Canadien is that the recipe was created by French-Canadiens. It is therefoe an ethnic recipe. But yes, the wjole, dried yellow peas, together with onion and black pepper define this soup.

If you can find Habitant Pea Soup, that is a very good store brand of this pea soup variety.

I just know that it tastes way different than green split pea soup. It's not better, but just as good, IMHO. It uses whole dried yellow peas instead of split peas. If you want a thicker soup, you could add some yellow split peas withou altering the flavor.

Living on the Michigan/Ontario boder has allowed me to enjoy some uniquely Canadian foods such as this soup, tortier (meat pie), poutine, and Naniemo bars. In my experience, there are two main food themes in our Northern neihgbor's cuisene; Fench, and British. There are strong areas of Scottish, and Italian as well. Of course as it is in the U.S., more imigrants from more places in the world have settled in Canada, amd enriched the Canadian food tapestry.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Seeeeya; Chief Kongwind of the North.

1/2 teaspoon of black pepper in a recipe of that size is scant, IMO.

About the same amount you'd use in any split pea soup recipe.

So I'll go with the yellow peas!

I don't know if I"ve ever tasted yellow split peas but certainly have never cooked them. Saturday I was going to buy peas as the Mediterranean Market but all they had was yellow. I didn't get them then but because of this thread, definitely try them soon.

I think the vegis other than the peas are supposed to be finely chopped. I don't remember ever seeing pieces of vegis in the soup, other than the peas.

I can't really say what sets this soup apart. I haven't had "regular" pea soup in years. I remember detesting it. I really, really like the French Canadian one. If at all possible, do try to use whole peas. If you have the chance, try the one from Habitant. It's good enough that I can't be bothered to make French Canadian pea soup, but I always have several cans of it at home. The ingredients list is: WATER, YELLOW PEAS, LARD, SALT, ONION POWDER AND SPICE. I have tried their version with cubes of ham, but prefer the one without.

Hi Chief, another great sounding recipe to try. Guess what? Pea soup is DH's favorite soup, so you know this is copied and going in the Make Soon folder. Thanks again, will get back to you. Keep up the good work. lol

Hi Chief, sorry it has taken soo long, but DH finally made your soup last night. He said to tell you THANK YOU, IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom