French Onion Soup Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it was partly the recipe that I had which didn't call for sugar and the fact that I probably cooked the onions too quickly and the fond got bitter. Thanks to all! I can't wait to try your recipes!

You can leave out the sugar. If the onions are done properly they will be sweet. Sometimes too sweet.

I always use a mix of beef and chicken broth. Seems to give a better flavor.

Yes, me too.

I think it was partly the recipe that I had which didn't call for sugar and the fact that I probably cooked the onions too quickly and the fond got bitter. Thanks to all! I can't wait to try your recipes!

IMO adding sugar ruins the soup. The onions are sweet enough if carmelized properly.

Woops. Posted without looking. I agree with Jeekinz

I actually keep the heat on medium-low, unless I am standing over the pan. It's important to caramelize them slowly so they achieve the sweetness you are looking for. They will be brown when they're fully caramelized, but it takes some time. [\QUOTE]

That was my mistake when I made FOS I cooked it a full heat. Next time I will go low and slow. Thx

Here's a tip you can use to speed up the process of carmelizing the onions. If you start with a quarter cup of water in addition to the butter and/or oil, and then crank the heat with the lid on, you will quickly heat up the onions to the point where they will release their moisture. Since evaporation reduces temperature, you will not get the onions hot enough to brown until they have "wilted".
After the water is out of the onions and has evaporated from the pot, you have to turn the temp down low, as evaporation will no longer be cooling the onions down. This is where the magic happens; the above tip just gets you to this point a little quicker.

I love using walla walla sweet onions... what recipe do you use Glorie?

here's the one I use

2 cups onions...Walla walla or another sweet onion
2 tablespoons sweet butter
4 cups beef broth
3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup white wine

swiss cheese, parm cheese, French bread,

Melt your butter and add your sliced onions. Cook until golden brown.

Add beef broth, wine, W. sauce. Bring to a boil.

Simmer for 10 minutes. Put soup in oven safe soup bowls and top with French bread and then top with your choice of cheese. Broil until cheese is melted.

I also sometimes add stew meat and mushrooms to make it more of a main dish.

oh so yummmmmy!!!!

I made this for supper tonight. I didn't have french bread so I cubed up a plain bagel and used havarti cheese. It was really good. I had 2 helpings and so did hubby! This so so easy to make too! Thanks!

Canned beef broth tends to be bitter, so I use half beef and half chicken. I also make it when Vidalia onions are in season.
Patience is required to caramelize the onions. Do it low and slow. If you cook the onions in a non-stick pan, you only need a couple tbls of EVOO and a couple of butter. If you are using onions that are not as sweet, add a pinch of sugar to the pan.

If your finished product tastes a little bland, add a packet of dry French onion soup mix. No one will know unless you tell the.

I find canned beef broth to be 'tinny' and never use it any more.
Penzys Penzeys Spices Home Page
makes a decent beef broth base as does Minors Soupbase.com for Minor's chicken base, lobster base, clam base, low sodium, sauces and other gourmet cooking ingredients and recipes.

I think using Vidalia or WallaWalla is a bit of overkill & overprice -
any onion will turn to a sweet taste of heaven with proper caramelizing.

My French Onion Soup receipe is so easy it's silly - but its good!

2 large yellow onions
1 - 32oz carton low sodium beef broth
salt & pepper
olive oil

Heat olive oil medium heat in large pan - add onions, salt & pepper to taste.
Cook onions until just tender add beef broth - bring to boil and that's it.
Then what I do is put some soup in oven safe (broiler safe) serving dishes (individual size) and top with cubed ciabatta bread - place a couple slices of fontina cheese on top of the bread and put under the broiler until the cheese melts! I got this receipe from my old Italian neighbor! Love this receipe!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom