French onion soup in large mugs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trent

Assistant Cook
I have to make 15 french onion soups and i have alot of large coffee mugs that are microwave / dishwasher safe. do you think i can bake this soup in these mugs ?

I would make the soup in a large pot then pour it into the mugs. If you're going to top them with bread and cheese, you should make sure the mugs are OK to go under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese.

I would use Andy's suggestion. If the mugs are not broiler safe then maybe you could CAREFULLY use a blow torch to brown the cheese.

Yep! If that doesn't work... you could microwave the soup after adding
the bread and cheese to the mugs.
It won't be quite the same but... it'd work.

Trent, welcome to DC.

Not sure of why you want to make the soup in mugs. Can I talk you out of the mugs? I have a recipe for onion soup served in onions. Anyone interested, just wave.

pdswife said:
Waving and jumping up and down
and shouting "me please"

TIA!

Okie dokie... the onion soup served in onions are so pretty...gotta do a couple o things & will post... :chef:

mish said:
Trent, welcome to DC.

Not sure of why you want to make the soup in mugs. Can I talk you out of the mugs? I have a recipe for onion soup served in onions. Anyone interested, just wave.

Thx for the welcome.
And yes i wanna see this :huh:

mish said:
Trent, welcome to DC.

I wanna do it in mugs because i don't have enough bowls that i can bake the soup in to give everyone there own soup with the browned cheese...

Hi Trent, a big happy welcome to DC :chef:

Another great way to serve onion soup is to get some really big, study round loaves of bread. Hollow them out but leave the sides and bottom fulling intact. Then pour your (cooked) soup into it (them) sprinkle the top with a bit of the scooped out bread, layer your cheese on top and quickly flash it under the broiler for just a couple of minutes. (Save the left over scopped out bread to make bread crumbs or for another use.)

Or you might try taking one cup, adding water, and cooking it the way you plan to do to the soup.

If it makes it through, you have an answer.

If not, you need another solution.

Onion Soup in Onion Bowls
Serving Size : 4

6 C yellow onions, sliced
2 T vegetable oil
2 cans beef broth (14-1/2 oz. each)
1/2 C dry sherry
1/2 t dried thyme
1/8 t black pepper
Dash cayenne pepper
2 T parsley, minced
Parmesan Toast

Sauté onions in vegetable oil over medium heat in large saucepan about 30 minutes or until onions are golden brown in color. Add broth, sherry, thyme, and peppers. Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Serve in 12-ounce soup bowls. Sprinkle with parsley and top with Parmesan Toast.

Parmesan Toast: 4 servings.
Butter one side of each of 4 slices of baguette; sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Broil or toast until cheese browns.

OR - Serve soup in onions/bowl. Peel outer layers of 4 large onions, but leave two layers of skin intact. Slice top 1/4 onion and discard. Slice thin layer off bottom so onions will be even and level on the bottom. Cut an "X" in center of onion and carefully remove inner portion, leaving at least 2 layers on the outer edge. Fill with onion soup.

Make sure the soup isn't boiling hot when you fill the onions to avoid leaks.

Piccolina said:
Hi Trent, a big happy welcome to DC :chef:

Another great way to serve onion soup is to get some really big, study round loaves of bread. Hollow them out but leave the sides and bottom fulling intact. Then pour your (cooked) soup into it (them) sprinkle the top with a bit of the scooped out bread, layer your cheese on top and quickly flash it under the broiler for just a couple of minutes. (Save the left over scopped out bread to make bread crumbs or for another use.)

Thanks everyone, i'm going with this one :rolleyes: now anyone have a super tasty recipe ?

Here is another recipe:

Five-Onion Soup with Scallion and Gruyere Croutons

- 3 large yellow onions, halved and sliced (pole to pole)
- 3 red onions, halved and sliced
- 6 shallots, halved and sliced
- 3 leeks (white parts only), halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 3 cups scallions (greens reserved for croutons), sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 750ml bottle red wine
- 1 small bunch thyme (12 sprigs) cut into 4-inch lengths
- 6 quarts beef stock, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 1 baguette, sliced into 1/2-inch coins
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated

In a 12-quart stockpot, saute the onions, shallots, leeks, scallion whites, garlic and a heavy pinch of salt in 2 tablespoons oil until the onions begin to caramelize. Deglaze with red wine. Add the thyme and stock to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for at least 1 hour. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.

While the soup is simmering, preheat the oven to broil. Toss the bread coins with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and place flat on a sheet pan. Toss the scallion greens with the Gruyere, and top each coin with the mixture. Bake on a rack in the middle of the oven for 3 minutes and then transfer to the broiler to lightly brown the tops. The cheese should be bubbly. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with croutons.

6-8

Back
Top Bottom