Garlic Soup with Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
This recipe was given to me by a friend...I haven't tried it yet, but it's gotta be good.

Garlic Soup with Shrimp

4 cup extra virgin olive oil
8-l6 med. to large cloves of garlic
satl and fresh ground pepper to taste
4 thick slices French or Italian bread
6 cups shrimp stock, veg. stock, or whatever you have
l - l l/2 lbs. shrimp (I use about 3/4 lbs)

Combine olive oil and garlic in a deep skillet. Heat to medium. sprinkle cloves of garlic lightly with salt and pepper and cook turning occasionally until they are tender and lightly browneded all over. Lower heat if they look like they are browing to fast. Remove garlic with slotted spoon.
Turn heat to low and add bread in batches if necessary, cook on each side until nicely browned. Re move. Add stock and raise heat to med high. When stock in almost boiling, add shrimp and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until shrimp are pink, about four minutes. Place a piece of bread some and some garlic cloves in a soup bowl, ladle a portion of the soup and shrimp on top.

Is the amount of oil correct? 40% of the liquid in this soup is oil. That seems like a lot to me.

That's pretty much what I was thinking GB
and with the cost of good olive oil.. I don't think I'd make this.

Garlic soup sounds good though.

Perhaps it's 1/4 of a cup of olive oil? I would think that otherwise it would be too oily (if it were 4 whole cups) to be enjoyable/edible. But it's a very scumptious looking soup, if you were to reduce the oil content - thanks Constance :)

All of the ingredients sound great. I'm guessing, like the others mentioned, that the amount of olive oil is too much, especially if the garlic is suppose to brown in the oil. Maybe 4 tbsp or so would be good.

Two of my favorite things!! Garlic and shrimp...sounds great!
Thanks, Constance!!:)

Shunka said:
I think it would be more like 4 TBsp. olive oil. Recipe looks great!!

Four cups sounds like a lot to me too. I think it must be a typing error. It may be 4 tbls, or possibly 1/4 cup. The bread will soak up some when you toast it in the skillet.

Here is another of her recipes, not all that different from the one above. I've had this several times, and it's wonderful! This one also calls for a quart of olive oil, so maybe the above recipe is right. By the way, she uses Bertoli, which isn't all that pricey. I get a liter for under $20.00 at Sam's.

Centralia House Shrimp

Ingredients:
3 lbs large shrimp
1 lb. sliced mushrooms
3-12 oz bottles chili sauce
1 750 mil bottle white wine
3 sticks butter
1 cup parsley flakes
1 tbl oregano
1+ bay leaves
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp Tabasco
1 quart olive oil
2++ cloves garlic

Directions:
In large pan, combine butter, olive oil, chili sauce and bring to boil. Stir in mushrooms. Add seasonings. Stir till thick & boiling. Put shrimp in dish and pour mixture over. Let stand 45 minutes. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Let stand & cool for 10 minutes. Serve with crusty bread for dipping in sauce.

When you eat this, you will think you have died and gone to heaven. Last time Claudie fixed it, she added some hen of the woods mushrooms. Oh my!

Back
Top Bottom