Halloween Pumpkin & Tomato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sloan WY

Assistant Cook
1 dried Ancho/Pasilla chile - 1/4 C. chopped onion
1 C. boiling water - 1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 C. chicken stock - 1 small tomato, chopped
6 oz. canned pumpkin - 1/2 C. half & half

Stem & de-seed chile and break into pieces and put into bowl w/ boiling water - let it rest 1 hour, then strain & reserve 1/2 C. of liquid w/ the pepper pieces - In saucepan, combine pepper pieces & reserved liquid with stock, pumpkin, onion & garlic - bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover for 15 minutes - cool slightly - put half of the pumpkin mixture in a blender or food processor & puree - repeat w/ other half - return all to saucepan and add tomato & cream - cook for 3-5 minutes until HOT, but DO NOT boil! - - - Yield: 4 appetizer servings. --- Enjoy! :P
"No man is truly free until he can turn down an invitation to dinner without making an excuse!"

YUM sloan - somewhere on this site I've posted a Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili - I think - but here it is again.......

BLACK BEAN CHILI w/pumpkin

6 Tablespoons olive oil
3 pounds lean/boneless pork, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 large onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 can (13 oz.) beef broth
2/3 cup cream sherry
1 can (14 oz.) stewed tomatoes
5 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
Cayenne Pepper to taste
Sea Salt to taste
1 can (15 oz.) pureed pumpkin
2 cups cooked black beans
Garnish: Cheddar cheese, sliced scallions

Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in large pot and brown pork in batches over medium-high heat, adding more oil as needed. Once pork is browned on all sides, reserve. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper to the pot; saute about 10 minutes. Stir in broth, sherry and tomatoes. Add spices, cayenne pepper and salt to taste. Stir well. Add pumpkin puree, stirring until smooth. Add black beans and browned pork. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 hour. Top with shredded Cheddar cheese, sliced scallions, for garnish.

(Did I send you this one?? I can't remember) When people taste this chili they know "something" is different - it has that underlying taste that just can't be figured out!! LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom