Help me jazz up plain 'ol Campbell's tomato soup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know about using milk.. yummy! in fact, I always use milk, basil and some hot pepper sauce. What I'm wondering though is if I could/should add some stewed tomatoes (chopped? pureed?) to it or if that would just be too nasty.

I have tons of cans of stewed tomatoes (long story) and I'm making tomato soup tonight. I would love to try and get rid of some of those cans.

What do you think? :chef:
I don't often use Campbell's condensed soups just as soup but when I do I always dilute it with milk. When you've poured the hot soup into the bowl you could float a spoonful of thick cream on top and scatter some chopped fresh basil. When I was young and impressionable I had this in a café with "posh" (ie "Granary") bread rolls and I thought it was s-o-o sophisticated :)

I don't often use Campbell's condensed soups just as soup but when I do I always dilute it with milk. When you've poured the hot soup into the bowl you could float a spoonful of thick cream on top and scatter some chopped fresh basil. When I was young and impressionable I had this in a café with "posh" (ie "Granary") bread rolls and I thought it was s-o-o sophisticated :)

I always have a large supply of tinned tomatoes in the cupboard and get twitchy if the supply dwindles to 3 tins! Time to go shopping!

If you have freezer space you could make a batch of tomato soup or tomato based pasta sauce. Tinned tomatoes can go well in casseroles/stews especially things like Hungarian Goulasch.

I once had to cater for a dinner party for 6 friends of the *Man-of-the-Moment at 2 hours notice. For the first course I whizzed tinned tomatoes in the blender, added orange juice from a carton to taste, herbs and seasoning and a pinch or two of sugar (not enough to taste but just enough to take the sharp edge off the toms), chilled it and served it in my best cut glass bowls with a swirl of cream and chopped fresh basil. It went down a storm and I kept my mouth shut about it only taking five minutes and a couple of convenience foods!

(*Needless to say, the Man-of-the-Moment rapidly became "The Forgotten Man" as a result of tricks like that!!)

bump. lurker surfing again.

an old irish bartender taught me this: when you're sick and if you don't like hot toddys (like me)i make bloody tomato soup.

worcestershire sauce, horseradish, thinly sliced celery, lots of black pepper.

seperately, i've heard of adding a little pickle juice, but i'm not so sure about that. :ermm:
A slug of vodka in the bloody tomato soup?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom