Help needed with bean soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lefty7887

Sous Chef
I have a big ham bone with plenty of meat on it and a bag of pinto beans that have been pre-soaked in the crock pot with an onion some garlic red bell pepper chicken stock salt and pepper and a bay leaf. My question is what herbs would go good with this? I did some googling and the only other thing I saw was mustard powder. Thoughts? I also am considering putting in some sazon (goya) into it to give it the rich earthy flavor, what do you guys think?

BTW, Merry Christmas

Good morning, Lefty, and Merry Christmas back at ya!

One thing you might consider is adding some chopped jalapenos to your soup. I put them in my black bean soup and they add a nice kick. I just use the jarred pickled ones. I serve it with a dollop of sour cream on top and chopped cooked bacon.

Nothin' like a nice big pot of soup that begins with a big ham hock! Hope your soup turns out tasty.

Good morning, Lefty, and Merry Christmas back at ya!

One thing you might consider is adding some chopped jalapenos to your soup. I put them in my black bean soup and they add a nice kick. I just use the jarred pickled ones. I serve it with a dollop of sour cream on top and chopped cooked bacon.

Nothin' like a nice big pot of soup that begins with a big ham hock! Hope your soup turns out tasty.

Ive always put thyme in my bean soup. But on the other hand, being a veggie, I dont use a ham bone. :-p

I have some jalapenos around somewhere I think its a good idea.

I also thought of thyme. Thanks

Alton Brown puts a tbsp. of miso paste in his split-pea soup recipe for some depth of flavor. DH likes it a lot (split-pea isn't my fave type of soup).

Alton Brown puts a tbsp. of miso paste in his split-pea soup recipe for some depth of flavor. DH likes it a lot (split-pea isn't my fave type of soup).

I just had to google that. Fermented soy bean paste. Sounds interesting though I don't have it on hand.

When I make bean soup, I add a can of stewed tomato, bay leaf, carrot, celery, onion, thyme, S & P.
I made pea soup last week, came out Yummy!

Hi, and merry christmas, just came across this post. A few herbs that might work, would be fresh parsley, saffron, cilantro and thyme.

savory-soup-recipes.com might help you with finding more.

I think the bone should be simmered for 6 ~ 8 ~ 10 hours before adding the beans.

Ham hock/bone goes in at the same time as the beans and other spices for flavoring. You're not cooking the bone, but extracting the flavors from it.

Extended cooking/simmering is required to extract the gelatin/collagen.

That amount of time tends to turn beans mushy, and tends to diminish the spices, etc, especially the aromatics.

There was one soup I made which had me take a scoop of the beans and broth out( when they were soft enough). Blend them. Then add them back to the soup. This way, You can use it as a thickener,without letting the soup cook for hours and turn to mush. Kinda gives you the best of both worlds. Whole beans in the soup to eat plus the pea soup-like thickness as a base. Unless it is that pea-soup uniform thickness your looking for, then let simmer away...

I just made some bean soup the other night; I use thyme as well. Other than a bay leaf, I try to keep it pretty simple if I'm using leftover ham. I cooked ham with a mustard honey glaze, so some of that flavoring is in the pot. I'll add a diced mirepoix. I also used a different bean, a good Mexican bean. So, I could go beans and cornbread simple, or easily add jalapeno and cilantro for a different taste.
I usually make a ham stock with the bone, then clean the meat/bone. Strain. Then will add the beans (soaked, or quick "soak" ) to cook, along with the cleaned bone. I'll add the meat, and add the diced vegetable according to their cooking time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom