Help - Pumpkin Soup Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floridagirl

Senior Cook
Hi everyone

I'm planning a big party next weekend and I'm still looking for an authentic old fashioned american pumpkin soup recipe. Does anyone have a recipe for me?
Thanx in advance for any help

Iris :)

I know it's not a pumpkin soup recipe, but this is a delicious, simple recipe for butternut squash soup.

Butternut Squash Soup with Croutons
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 small onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3 c chopped, peeled butternut squash
3 c water
2 c apple cider
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Your favorite store-bought croutons, such as Parmesan and black pepper (I make my own pumpernickle croutons.)

Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, about 6 minutes.

Add the squash, water and cider and season with salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes.

Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Divide the soup among bowls and garnish with the croutons. Serve immediately. (it's good reheated, too, just give it a good whisk before serving.)

My favorite pumpkin soup recipes are those that incorporate ginger and cinnamon into them. Also, are you in Florida or Germany currently? I know that our English friends have a hard time finding canned pumpkin, but that's what I like to use in soup.

Here's one for a roasted squash soup, but you could easily sub out pumpkin for it. Even if you're using canned pumpkin, you can oil a cookie sheet and spread it out on that, and 'roast' it for a bit; it will actually help remove some of the moisture from the canned puree, and give you a more concentrated flavor.

ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

6-8 servings

2cup chopped onion
1T minced garlic
2T butter
3cups chicken broth
1T fresh thyme
1T pepper
2T maple syrup
2T butter
2T brown sugar
½ cup walnut halves
4 butternut squash,roasted,peeled,diced*

Saute onion and garlic in butter for 5 minutes in a large pot; add squash, stock, thyme and seasonings to pot and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat and blend til smooth. Melt butter and sugar in pan; add walnuts and toss to coat. Serve with walnut garnish.

To roast butternut, preheat oven to 400 – cut squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds and strings; oil both sides, place on foil covered baking sheet, and roast til knife goes through the squash – about 30-45 minutes, depending on the size. Let cool on baking sheet, then peel.

I had this over 30 years ago at a pot-luck and it was actually served in a pumpkin! You could also serve in in the mini pumpkins.

Creamy Pumpkin Soup

1 (about 6 lbs) small sweet pumpkin (the sort grown for pies not for Jack O Lanterns)
Oil (Today I use EVOO, of course)
3 C chicken stock
1/2 C heavy cream

Recent addition:
A Williams Sonoma catalog had a recipe for Roasted Squash Soup which called for 3/4 C chestnut Puree and additional 1/2 C cream and 1 t brandy....... I've incorporated it into my recipe.

Preheat oven to 375. Cut pumpkin in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Brush inside and out with oil and season with salt pepper. Place pumpkin, cut side down on a baking sheet and pierce with a knife several times. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan and roast until very tender - about 1 hr.
When it's cool enough to handle either scoop into a food processor and purree until very smooth or scoop into a large sauce pan and purree with an immersion blender until smooth.. Add stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Add chestnut puree and 1/2 C cream and stir to combine. Dilute as needed w/ stock to the consistancy you desire. Correct seasonings. In a small bowl whisk 1/2 cup cream and brandy together until frothy.,
Serve in warmed bowls, top with a drizzle of the brandy cream.

wow ... :) thank you very much for all the recipes :) Thats great! I already printed them out and going to try them all by and by. Now I have to decide which one I'll make next weekend.... :cool:

@ jkath
I'm in Germany right now (till october) but I believe I can buy canned pumkin here. ...ummm hope so :ermm:

Here's a recipe I have in my collection. Good luck!

Cream of Pumkin Soup with cinnamon croutons
3 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
4 slices whole wheat bread
1 cup onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 400° F. Combine butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Spread butter mixture evenly over one side of each bread slice. Place bread, buttered side up, on a baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until bread is crisp and topping is bubbly. Cut each slice of bread into 8 small triangles or squares.
2. Saute onion in butter in a medium saucepan until tender. Add 1 can chicken broth; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
3. Transfer broth mixture into the container of a blender or processor. Process until smooth.
4. Return mixture to saucepan. Add remaining can of broth, pumpkin, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground pepper; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in whipping cream and heat through. Do not boil. Ladle into individual soup bowls. Top each serving with Cinnamon Croutons.

I know that our English friends have a hard time finding canned pumpkin, but that's what I like to use in soup.
And your Irish ones :ROFLMAO:

I know it strays from soup, but...I love pumpkin ravioli, especially with a little melted butter and sage. In fact last fall I took a basic pumpkin soup recipe and added sage to it with slices of buttered toast with melted Gouda on it - yummy, and so fallish!

Spicy Lentil Pumpkin Soup

Here's one I got from my Mom! It's great with some home-made toasted croutons on top.

Spicy Lentil Pumpkin Soup

1/4 c butter
2 large onions, chopped
1/2 c lentils
5 cups broth (chicken or veggie)
1 1/2 c pureed pumpkin
1/4 t marjoram
1/4 thyme
1 c half-and-half or evaporated milk
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
Couple dashes tobasco

Melt butter in large kettle; add onions and saute until transparent. Stir in lentils and broth, then the pumpkin. Crush herbs and add with pepper and Tabasco. Simmer 1 1/2 hours or until the lentils are done. Cool, then puree. At serving time, heat to simmering and add half and half and salt. Top with sprinkling of sunflower seeds.

Serves 4-6.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom