Help question for meatball soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meaghanne

Assistant Cook
Okay, I've made meatball soup 4 times from the same recipe and its always great. I made it again with 2 differences and the meatballs are red inside. The diff are: premade meatballs and stored in fridge uncooked and cooked with the lid on instead of off. Help?

# 1 were they thawed or frozen when you put them in your soup?

#2 how long did they cook?? was the broth simmering /boiling

#3 lid shouldn't make a difference.

some meats are treated with a gas to keep them red, some meats are given a preserving salt (like ham and sausage) that keeps meat pink for quite some time. check the ingredients.

cooking time and temp

Okay, they were uncooked and not frozen when I put them in the soup. Cooked them for 30 mins in the soup, lid on. Cut 1 in half, red. Took them out and put them in the oven for 20 mins, cut 1 in half, still red.

sounds like food coloring or salt stabilizer to me...

assuming these are normal sized meat balls not bowling balls of packed moose, and that heat was applied both on the stove topand in the oven. what else could it be.

been a number of folks reporting meat or fowl that is still red after quite a bit of cooking. all I can say is inferior product.

what brand??? national or store ??

I have bought premade meatballs from Ikea and Costco and both were fine...always cooked up fine.

answer

well...I made the meatballs myself from ground beef. Meat was from a regular grocery store. Do you think they are safe to eat? I assume that after 30 mins on the stove and then 20 mins in oven they would have to be cooked no matter what they looked like inside right?

ground beef from the store is sometimes gas treated to keep it red but that usually only affects the outside . got an instant read thermometer? check the temp. take the cut one in half and fry it and see what color it turns?

Ok

Ok, just fried up one of them and it sort of browned but didn't really change colour. The weird thing is that the ground beef before I cooked it wasn't really red, more light brownish.

I thought maybe because I always cook the soup with the lid off that maybe this time with the lid on they cooked differently...they seem very moist inside but not uncooked, just red.

Think I can eat them?

Temp

Don't have the temp but I did feel the inside when I cut it open the first time from the soup and it almost burned me (30 mins over simmer on a gas stove, med bubbling)....then felt the inside again after being in the oven and same thing, very hot (20 mins at 350).

sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite (preserving salts for sausage) keeps meat pink. any herbs or dry mix ingredients used in meatballs? just curious

yes

I always make the meatballs with the following:

ground beef
egg
pepper and salt
dried basil
fine bread crumbs
onion

So odd that this has never happened before....going to eat them! I think they have to be cooked by now too.

This is the recipe.

Meatballs:

1 pound ground beef
1/4 Large onion finely chopped
1 egg
1/3 cup fine bread crumbs
pepper
salt
dried basil

Soup:

4 md tomatoes steamed and peeled
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons chopped onion

Blend above in blender then into pan with 1 tablespoon oil for 4 mins.

2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
3 carrots, chopped
2 Zuchinis chopped

Add to tomato puree...carefully add in uncooked meatballs.

3 hot peppers, scored
3 sprigs cilantro

Add to soup. 30-40 mins over simmer. Done

sounds wonderful...gonna steal your recipe! should be safe. just for interest though, mention this to the meat guys at your market and see what they say about how the meat is preserved.

thanks a mil!

Okay, will do...enjoy the recipe it really is an awesome authentic Mexican recipe!

Meaghanne, When we do soup with meatballs, we FRY them before. So, they're already cooked when in soup.....Will you try?

Ok

Thanks for the tip, will try next time. The recipe does call for placing them in the broth raw though and the previous times I've made this recipe they turned out great. Will give it a go to see. Thx.

Back
Top Bottom