Help with ratio for soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
I am throwing together a minestroni soup and was wondering the ration of tomatos to water that I should use? Here is what I have for the base.

28 oz. can whole tomatoes that I have hand crushed
14.5 oz. tomato sauce
beef bullion

How big is your pot? I would fill a dutch oven 2/3 full with the tomatos and then water. That will give you room for your beans etc.

That would be about 2-3 liters? Um....8-12 cups of water.

Thanks Alix,
I have a large soup pot that I'm sure will hold am much as I want to put in. So you are thinking 8-12 cups water for both cans?

It's kind of hard to say ... how tomatoey do you want it? How big a pot - and what else/how much is going into it? Most of the recipes I remember it was a 28 oz can of tomatoes to 1-2 quarts broth. Hey, it's soup - wing it! Personally, if it was me, I would hold back on the tomato sauce.

Here is the result of the soup

Before the BF could even swallow his first bite he gave me a big thumbs up on it.

28oz. can whole tomatoes hand crushed
14.5 oz. can tomato sauce
8 1/2 cups water
2 beef bullion packets
12 cloves garlic
1 large spanish onion
1/2-1 box frozen green beans
1/2-1 box frozen carrots
1/2-1 box frozen peas
1/2-1 box frozen corn
2 potatos chopped small
1/2-1 cups shredded cabbage
1 can small white beans
2 links sweet italinan turkey sausage
6 oz. miniature bow tie pasta

In a big soup pot simmer garlic and onion in a little olive oil until onions are transparent.

Add both cans tomatoes, water, and beef boullion and simmer for about 30 minutes letting all flavors blend together.

Add green beans, carrots, and potato and continute to slow simmer.

In a seperate pan with a little olive oil sear 1 link of sausage on both sides until brown and throw in pot with vegetables. Sear the other link of sausage on 1 side and throw in pot. Continue to slow simmer until sausage is cooked.

Take out sausage and set aside. Add cabbage and cook for about 5 minutes and then add the pasta and simmer for 8 minutes until pasta is cooked. Add white beans and the sausage back to pot with frozen peas and corn. When peas and corn are warmed through you are ready to serve.

Garnish with parmesan cheese and serve with garlic bread.

Last edited:
This recipe is from Leone's Italian Cookbook. It's a treasure of recipes from Mother Leone, who along with her sons ran a very famous restaurant in New York City.

Mother Leone's Minestrone

Ingredients:
1 lb dried cranberry beans
5 quarts water
1 lb fresh green beans, broken into halves
6 oz salt pork, diced
1 lb. potatoes, peeled and diced
3 tbls olive oil
1 lb. onions, peeled and diced
1 lb. can peeeled plum tomatoes or 2 lbs. ripe tomatoes, chopped
3 medium sized garlic cloves, mashed
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 medium sized carrot, scraped and diced
1 celery stalk with leaves, minced
1 pork hock or hambone
1 oz spaghettini per person
1/4 cup butter

Directions:
Soak the dried cranberry beans in water overnight. Drain and discard water. If using fresh beans, shell 2 lbs. to have 1 lb. shelled. Do not soak the fresh beans. Add beans to the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and add all other ingredients except butter and spaghettini. Cook sloowly for 2 hours.
When beans are cooked, measure 1 generous cup of soup for each person into another pot. Bring to a boil and add 1 oz spaghettini, broken into 1-1/2 inch pieces, for each person. Cook for 8 minutes. Add the butter, stir and serve. Serve grated Parmesan cheese on the side, and for wine, a Valpolicella.
Pour the remainder of the soup into severeral containers and cool. When cold, freeze for serving at a later time. When ready to serve the frozen soup, just reheat it slowly, stirring occasonally. Serves 15 or 16.

Back
Top Bottom