How do I thicken the soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryf

Assistant Cook
I do not like my soup all watery. How do I thicken it?

Before someone suggests me to use less water, that is not what I meant. What I mean is how do I make it like have a slow flow/drip/stir effect.

What kind of soup? if it isn't a bean soup you can make up a bit of roux and stir in. Don't add too much and get it too thick..

You can also use cornstarch, tapioca, arrowroot, gelatin... they will all "thicken" the soup in different ways.

For bean soup, just mash up some of the beans.

First, Harry, welcome to DC. You will probably get plenty of answers to your question so be patient.

Now...do you prefer your soup to be more of a "stew" consistency? Secondly, how do you make your soup? That would help, too, to answer your question.

Hi Harry. Welcome to DC!

Surely it would depend on the soup you wished to thicken as to the most appropriate way. Potato in some cases, lentils in others, cornflour in others still. Some soups are meant to be thin, others thick so that will depend as well. A thick chicken soup is a completely different beast to a thin one. While acknowledging what you say abot the water content, reduction may be the best way for some soups.

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the welcoming.

I mostly cook vegetable soup. And I do it quick. My stomach is really impatient.

So what I do is boil the water, then toss in the chopped vegetables, and let it cook for a while. And that is it. Yes, I know I am not good at cooking.

Of the above mention thickeners, which one is the cheapest?

Although probably the super cheapest way is to blend it. The veges will thicken it without adding anything else. Add a splash of cream and you have cream of veg.

There are many ways to thicken soup other than roux I use ground barley and ground tapioca.. barley in my veggie soup for thickness and flavor and tapioca in my fruit and sweet dishes. I have a commercial grinder and a spice grinder in use most every day

I have used instant mash potatos for thickening which worked well
Just use it straight from the box, little at a time

Funny lil tip:
I told a friend to do that as she couldn't get gravy to thicken, She poured some in, but didn't give it a chance to asborb liquid up so she poured more in . Lets just say it thicken. Gravy flavored mashed potatos is what she ended up with.

Last edited:
The love of my life likes soups stewy - I am on the soupy side.

And so, rather than the messy divorce, figuring out who would get custody of the Tupperware, and having to go through the whole dating process to find someone who was also soupy, I compromised.

Our soups are stewy.

Add pasta. It works.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will go to my local supermarket and check them out.

Hi Harry when I make soup I don't start with water I'll use a stock. You can get it off the shelf or make your own. A stock home made so thick that it gells when chilled is going to be a much more flavorful liguid to begin the soup than water alone. It won't be the viscosity of molasses when hot but it is so heavy with flavor that any of the above thickeners won't reduce the taste. IMHO Cornstarch and water alone isn't too tasty.

I'd throw in a couple extra pototoes that you can take out when tender, smash with a little of the broth, then put back into the soup.

thicken soup

I do not like my soup all watery. How do I thicken it?

Before someone suggests me to use less water, that is not what I meant. What I mean is how do I make it like have a slow flow/drip/stir effect.

This may sound too country for you, BUT...don't throw out the last bit of gravy. Stick it in the freezer in a small container. It's a roux. Put it in the soup. It thickens, adds color and flavor.

or you could go to a health food shop and ask for Xanthan gum, it has no taste or color and if made with water will remain perfectly clear so it`s great for Any type of soup, and you only need a very small amount!

a typical 100g container will thicken up a whole Bath full of water! so it`ll last you a few years :)

edit: and it doesn`t Split either like some starch based thickeners can over time.

Last edited:
Hi Harryf,

When I make soup, I follow this basic process, I heat up some oil, then put in some onion, after the onion is transluscent, then I mix in flour (whatever kind you like). I stir that together and then when the flour is well mixed in with the onions then I add water/broth and all the other ingredients. If it is not thick enough, then I put some flour in a jar, add a bit of COLD water, cover and shake. Then I add that to the soup and that works wonders. If you add warm or hot water to your soup, it will turn into glue (trust me I learned the hard way once making gravy!)

Back
Top Bottom