How long to cook raw turkey for soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayprice7

Assistant Cook
Usually when i make turkey soup it's form leftovers that have already been cooked, but I found some turkeys on sale and I'm giving it a go from a raw turkey. I'm making my stock right now. I'm just curious how long I should cook the raw bits of turkey meat to make sure it's safe to eat. Is it better to roast the meat, or just boil it in the stock?

Ideally, you would have put the cut up raw turkey into a pot with cold water and seasonings. Bring it up to a boil and reduce to a simmer for an hour or so. Then remove the meat from the bones and return the bones and other non-meat parts (skin, gristle, cartilage, etc) to the pot and continue making the stock.

If the meat is already cut up into soup-sized pieces, they will cook in simmering soup in a matter of minutes.

I got such a big turkey (20+ lb) that I couldn't fit the whole thing in the stock pot with the other stuff I used in my stock, So I cut all of the large pieces of meat off the turkey, then threw the remaining bones, cartilidge, skin, and small bits of meat still stuck to the aforementioned- into the pot.

jayprice7 said:
I got such a big turkey (20+ lb) that I couldn't fit the whole thing in the stock pot with the other stuff I used in my stock, So I cut all of the large pieces of meat off the turkey, then threw the remaining bones, cartilidge, skin, and small bits of meat still stuck to the aforementioned- into the pot.

Sounds like you did the right thing. Enjoy your delicious soup!

Back
Top Bottom