How long will soup last in fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
Made a lovely red pepper soup tonight and am just wondering how long its safe to leave it in the fridge?

Its just the basic recipe, roasted red peppers, onions, celery, carrots, tin tomatoes plus stock. Would it be good for 5 days or just 3?

Many thanks,

T :chef:

Five days is kinda my general rule. After that, as a friend of mine (who was studying to be a dietician) said in her southern Illinois twang, "It may not have any salmonelli, but it's probley startin' ta fur over."

Thanks a mill guys, froze half of it and the rest will definately be eaten within the 5 days :chef:

It really depends on your fridge, how cold it is. I can safely leave soup in mine for two weeks, but it just doesn't taste as good as it should. Freezing is always a good option. I do it quiet often.

It really depends on your fridge, how cold it is. I can safely leave soup in mine for two weeks, but it just doesn't taste as good as it should. Freezing is always a good option. I do it quiet often.

I have experienced the same: 2 weeks in the fridge for soup works well for me. I always read the "3 to 5 days", but I think authors write that just to be safe.

3 to 5 days in the fridge otherwise freeze

I agree.

With some things, such as chili or split pea soup, they often separate and begin to break apart after the third day, and by the fifth day my imagination tells me that there's plenty of bacteria beginning to bloom, so that I'd better really get it hot (stove top - not merely microwave) and use it that day or throw it out.

I just keep enough leftover soup in the fridge to use within one week; the rest goes into the freezer right after I've made it.

I make a batch of soup and immediately freeze all of it (except for what we eat for that day's dinner. It gets frozen in portion-sized containers and just takes a few minutes to defrost and serve. There's never any question about whether or not it's safe to eat.

I have experienced the same: 2 weeks in the fridge for soup works well for me. I always read the "3 to 5 days", but I think authors write that just to be safe.

It does rather beg the question of why one would want to keep soup in the 'fridge for 2 weeks (or for 5 days for that matter but if you must, you must. You could always do what our grandmothers did and boil it up every day.

Both storing for days or weeks or boiling up daily would ruin the vitamin content of the soup and not count to your 5-a-day or whatever is the recommended fruit and veg intake in your neck of the woods.

Last edited:
With soups, I try to freeze all but what I can eat within 2-3 days. If I don't feel like having more by the 3rd day, I usually just toss it. It isn't worth getting sick.

Back
Top Bottom