How to make the best clam chowder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For some I suppose :rolleyes:
I never got the attraction of adding crackers to a nice thick chowder. Chicken noodle soup, sure, after you run out of noodles and stuff and have nothing left but broth, but chowders?
But that's what makes the world go round :)

Chowders are usually not thick. Or they shouldn't be so that your spoon stands up in them. The crackers soak up the liquor. :angel:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I would have responded sooner but I can't stop laughing. and it is hard to see with tears running down my face.

Cherry stones are a name we give to hard shell clams. There are soft shell, little necks, quahogs, etc. They are different sizes. The quahogs which are the largest are difficult to open and are often cut up and mixed with breadcrumbs or other filler, placed back into the washed shell and baked. The cherry stones can often be used for fried clams or chowder. The smallest are soft shells and are just babies. Clammers (people who did clams for a living) put them back to grow some more. :angel:

Always pleased to amuse Addie! :ROFLMAO:

I think we can safely say I won't be using cherrystones! :LOL:

Always pleased to amuse Addie! :ROFLMAO:

I think we can safely say I won't be using cherrystones! :LOL:

Katy, this has been the most delightful thread I have participated in for a while. I used to dig clams in the summer as a child and bring them home for supper that night. Long before they were regulated. Every kid did. We all brought our pails with us when we went to the beach. After a storm, we couldn't dig them fast enough. They were always close to the surface. I grew up on seafood. :angel:

Chowders are usually not thick. Or they shouldn't be so that your spoon stands up in them. The crackers soak up the liquor. :angel:

Who said anything about standing a spoon up? :wacko:
I have never had a chowder that was not thicker than a soup made with broth or stock. But then I don't live in Boston.

Katy, this has been the most delightful thread I have participated in for a while. I used to dig clams in the summer as a child and bring them home for supper that night. Long before they were regulated. Every kid did. We all brought our pails with us when we went to the beach. After a storm, we couldn't dig them fast enough. They were always close to the surface. I grew up on seafood. :angel:

And this will show you how far I am away from seafood - I didn't know that clams were dug up! :blush: I thought they would be dredged or caught in cages or something!

Last edited:
Who said anything about standing a spoon up? :wacko:
I have never had a chowder that was not thicker than a soup made with broth or stock. But then I don't live in Boston.

I have seen some very bad chowders served right here in Boston. Usually made by someone who was not born or grew up here. They thicken it with cornstarch. An abomination! So many of our regional dishes came over on the Mayflower. So if you are going to make one and want it to be as authentic as possible, just ask yourself, "what did the Pilgrims have on hand to make this dish?" They certainly didn't have cornstarch. :angel:

I don't always base my food profile on something that was (according to you) made nearly 300 years ago. Nor did I mention cornstarch anywhere.
Really, where do you come up with this stuff? Can't you give someone advice without sniping all the time? What is it, my turn today?

Last edited:
And this will show you how far I am away from seafood - I didn't know that clams were dug up! :blush: I thought they would be dredged or caught in cages or something!

Scallops are dredged. Picture a pitchfork with all the tines bent downward and a very short handle. The clammer walks along the beach bent over at low tide looking for bubbles in the sand. Aha! A bunch of them together tells him that he has come upon a 'clam bed.' He takes his trusty fork and digs deep. A back breaking job. But the pay is good. They do have to label where they were dug, and the date. This information is on the netted bag when they are in the store for sale. The clammer goes out twice a day at low tide. :angel:

I am not even going to mention the brand of clams I found! I'll probably get lynched! :LOL::LOL: (Suffice to say, it is none of the above!)

Just bear in mind I have been to every store in town and only one had ANY clams at all, so it was this one or nothing! :neutral:

Oh fer Pete's sake, canned clams are just fine, and nothing wrong with corn in a chowdah! Just don't let it overpower the clams. Whatever tastes good to you. I also dump the clam juice into whatever chowder or spaghetti sauce I'm making. We mostly get Snow's here too.

Taste a bit of the canned clams, Katy, they should taste of the sea, and not the slightest bit fishy. (I have a HUGE fishy taste aversion.)

Last edited:

Addie is spot on.

Clam chowder is on the menu all over the place here and the really thick kind is sorta gross. Tells you that they don't care about quality.

And sorry you guys have to use canned clams. IMO they are pretty nasty.

If you want to put corn in your clam chowder ... Do it. If you think you'd like the taste, do it. There are some hard and fast rules in cooking but corn in clam chowder isn't one of them.

Oh fer Pete's sake, canned clams are just fine, and nothing wrong with corn in a chowdah! Just don't let it overpower the clams. Whatever tastes good to you. I also dump the clam juice into whatever chowder or spaghetti sauce I'm making. We mostly get Snow's here too.

Taste a bit of the canned clams, Katy, they should taste of the sea, and not the slightest bit fishy. (I have a HUGE fishy taste aversion.)

I am very nervous of tasting a clam DL! (Well not so much tasting it, but the texture - I hope it won't be too chewy, or too slimy). I realise it will be nothing like a fresh one, so let's hope it doesn't put me off for life!

I am very nervous of tasting a clam DL! (Well not so much tasting it, but the texture - I hope it won't be too chewy, or too slimy). I realise it will be nothing like a fresh one, so let's hope it doesn't put me off for life!

Try it, you'll like it! Go ahead, just taste a tiny bit. It's kinda like a chewy piece of mushroom. Super good in marinara sauce too.

Last edited:
Addie is spot on.

Clam chowder is on the menu all over the place here and the really thick kind is sorta gross. Tells you that they don't care about quality.

And sorry you guys have to use canned clams. IMO they are pretty nasty.

If you want to put corn in your clam chowder ... Do it. If you think you'd like the taste, do it. There are some hard and fast rules in cooking but corn in clam chowder isn't one of them.

You won't see Clam Chowder anywhere here Jennyema, but I know what you and Addie mean about an artificially thickened soup or stew. It has a horrible texture. I'll be using flour - which will be cooked through properly so there won't be any "raw" flour taste. Potatoes will help thicken it a bit more. :)

They are pretty similar to fresh ones, depending on the quality. At least the texture is. Kind of chewy, but not slimy in the least. And they actually break up when you chew them, so it's not like chewing on gristle.
I do know people who like fish, but don't like clams. I like the texture of both fresh or canned clams.

Try it, you'll like it! Go ahead, just taste a tiny bit. It's kinda like a chewy piece of mushroom.

I am not going to open my precious can of clams right this minute DL! :LOL:

But I PROMISE I will report back when I am ready to make my Chowdah! ;)

I haven't broken the news to my brother yet that it will be on the menu! He is very averse to seafood (won't even eat prawns!) However, I did get him to eat some crab a while ago and he actually liked that. So my guess is, he will give it a try. :)

They are pretty similar to fresh ones, depending on the quality. At least the texture is. Kind of chewy, but not slimy in the least. And they actually break up when you chew them, so it's not like chewing on gristle.
I do know people who like fish, but don't like clams. I like the texture of both fresh or canned clams.

I have a feeling it is possible I will be one of those people Pac! :LOL: But I won't know til I try, right? :) I am very curious!

I hope it comes out well for you. I'm looking forward to you making it.

Back
Top Bottom