Hungarian Mushroom Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeeAnn

Senior Cook
Hungarian Mushroom Soup

This is a wonderful soup. Depending on the mushroom you use, it will be either richer or more mild. It is better the next day also, as is alot of soups. But that's not saying that it is not wonderful the first day.

2 Tbl. butter
2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 to 2 lbs. mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. salt
2 to 3 tsp. dried dill (or 2-3 Tbl. freshly minced)
1 Tbl. mild paprika
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
3 Tbl. flour
2 cups water
1 cup milk at room temp. (can be lowfat)
black pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream (can be reduced fat)
finely minced fresh parsley, for the top

1. Melt the butter in a kettle or dutch oven. Add onions, and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt, dill, and paprika. Stir well and cover. Let cook for about 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice.

2. Gradually sprinkle in the flour, stirring constantly. Cook and stir another 5 minutes or so over medium low heat. Add water, cover, and cook about 10 minutes, stirring often.

3. Stir in the milk; add black pepper to taste. Check to see if it needs more salt. Whisk in the sour cream and heat very gently. Don't boil or cook after this point. Serve hot, topped with freshly minced parsley.

You are evil :evil: . I love creamed soups, but they are so full of starches! I will make this soup as it sounds very rich in mushroom flavor, with the hint of lemon and onion, this should be a winner.

Yet again, I hope to go morell (sp) hunting this year. I have been frustrated so far in my life by family and work commitments. I have studied the fungus extensively and know the difference between the true and false morells. I'll get in the woods yet. Then all I have to do is be able to recognize the right conditions for the mushroom. So much to learn, so little time.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Alix - you are welcome. :)

Goodweed - yes it is a very creamy soup. It is such a treat for me when I do make this and I'll eat it for a few days until it's gone since the rest of my family does not care for it. I think when my kids are a little older they might like it better.

I went morell (not sure of the spelling either) mushroom hunting about 20 years ago with my ex-husband, we found quite a few. But if I was to do it on my own I wouldn't know where to look. Good luck on the hunting, they are certainly delicious! :LOL:

LeeAnn.... I so want to try this soup. BUT, that hubby of mine doesn't like mushrooms! Dang him. I'll have to come over to your place and pig out some day! Hey, when do all the veggie stands open up??

Hey Trish, you will just have to be like me and eat all the soup yourself! :LOL:

I'm not sure about the fruit/veggie stands, I'll find out. Crops should be starting real soon here, I'll let you know. You can come over and we'll hit the stands and do the winery tour again - FUN!

LeeAnn said:
Hey Trish, you will just have to be like me and eat all the soup yourself! :LOL:

I'm not sure about the fruit/veggie stands, I'll find out. Crops should be starting real soon here, I'll let you know. You can come over and we'll hit the stands and do the winery tour again - FUN!

Sounds like a great plan to me.
I've already told Paulie that I'll be gone for
a day or two I'm NOT driving over the pass in
the dark again. Even in the summer I just can't see
well enough. LOL.. getting old sucks!

Goodweed and LeeAnn, you mentioned hunting for Morells. The golf course I work at has large wooded areas and when the Superintendent wasn't looking, a few of us would go hunting for the mushrooms. I noticed that most of the Morells seem to grow at the base of beech trees for some reason. Hope that helps a bit!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom