I turned Potato Salad into Potato Soup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laury

Senior Cook
Don't know if this would work with every potato salad, but it's worth a shot.
My nephew-in-law made a sort of German potato salad with onions, oil and vinegar. There was a lot left over so I thought I'd give it shot making potato soup.
I sauteed more onions in bacon grease, added a couple sliced, peeled raw potatoes and a pint of half and half.
I let this simmer for a while until the raw potatoes were cooked, then added the leftover salad and blended it all with an immersion blender.
I added milk to make it the right consistency, then seasoned it with salt and pepper and a few slices of crumbled bacon.
It turned out great and my NIL is loving it. Give it a shot with your version of potato salad and let me know how it turns out.:chef:

I'm glad it worked!!! I may put too much vinegar in my German Potato Salad to turn it into soup...actually, I think I do. And my regular potato salad? :ohmy: Don't know if I could handle pickle relish in there either! :LOL:

Next time I make German Potato Salad I'll give it some more thought. I do put beef broth in there already!! Thanks for posting this! It's always good to hear how people re-invent a dish.

I was worried about the vinegar too, but the sweetness of the half & half really took care of it. The pickles too should mellow out. In fact, there is a restaurant here in Portland that specializes in a dill pickle soup that is delicious. Dill pickles and potatoes are so German anyway!
Anyway, if you're so inclined give it a try and add extra potatoes and the cream and milk. Oh I forgot to mention the grated cheddar cheese. You may be surprised at the result. The bacon and bacon grease was a perfect addition as well. I know, I know, heart attack in a bowl, but boy was it good!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom