ISO Black Bean Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redkitty

Executive Chef
Hi all, anyone have a BB soup recipe they would like to share? Found a couple in my cookbooks, but they look kinda bland.

Thanks!
RK :)

Black Bean Soup

1 Lb Dry Black Beans
1/2 Oz Chipotle Peppers
2 Tb Olive Oil
1/4 Lb Pancetta
1 Carrot
1 Celery Stalk
1 Onion
4 Garlic Cloves
8 C Chicken Stock
2 Tb Tomato Paste
1 or 2 Smoked Pork Hocks or
1 Ham Bone from baked ham
Black Pepper
8 Oz Anduille Sausage
1 tsp Cumin
Sour Cream
Scallion

Wash and clean the beans and prepare for cooking according to package directions.

Soak the chipotle peppers in hot water for 30 minutes then cut open and remove the pith and seeds. Dice.

Dice the pancetta, carrots, celery, onions and garlic.

In a 7 1/2-8 Qt. sauce pan, sauté the pancetta in the oil until the fat is rendered and the lean is golden. Add the diced vegetables and sauté slowly.

Add the stock, paste, hocks, black pepper, beans, chipotle peppers and cumin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. When a bean can be easily smashed between two fingers, cooking is done. Remove the hocks. Puree part of the cooked mixture in a blender to thicken the soup.

Add the sausage and cook until heated through.

Serve with a garnish of sour cream and chopped scallions.

Serves 6

Note: The Pancetta can be omitted, using only oil in its place. If necessary, you may substitute a small can of green chili peppers in place of the Chipotle. Use any smoked sausage in place of the Anduille.

The liquid level in the pot will be high enough to completely submerge the ham bone during cooking. If this is not possible, the bone should be turned several times during the cooking time.

Thanks Andy! I'll have to use veggie stock instead of chicken and no ham/sausage or pancetta but it still sounds tastier than the recipes I have here. I'll have a go at this later this week.

Thanks again! :)

Actually, I have it in the pot right now , as it will be part of my dinner tonight. Being vegetarian, I had to make a few modifications myself, but the house smells so good, cant wait to taste it tonight .

Actually, I have it in the pot right now , as it will be part of my dinner tonight. Being vegetarian, I had to make a few modifications myself, but the house smells so good, cant wait to taste it tonight .

Great Larry! Do let us know how it turns out. Great to have another vegetarian around here too! :)

hello!
thanks for sending me a post and welcoming me yesterday! i have really enjoyed the site so far, everyone has been great. per your request for a good black bean soup recipe, i use one from allrecipes.com some of the reviews have good advice for add-ins or changes to be made, but its a good starter recipe and has worked for me. i cant send the link in this msg but if you type 'spicy slow cooker black bean soup' into the recipe search on allrecipes.com home page, it will come up. good luck!
erica

Yep, been vegetarian 20 years, Soups been cooking about 1 1/2 hours. Just blended a little up to thicken, adjusted the salt an pepper, now just waiting for dinner :)

Ill keep u posted.

OK, just reporting back on my back bean soup which i made for dinner ( vegetarian version). The changes I made were vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. ( make sure you use a good vegetable stock, one that you really like the taste, because the stock does kinda shine through at the end. Also, instead of a ham bone, I added a little ' liquid smoke' to give it that smokey flavor. All in all, it was very good. MY wifes actually taking the left over for lunch tomorrow.

Yeah, I love the smokey flavor, but being a vegetarian i have to compromise a little. The liquid smoke adds a nice touch, as long as not too much is added, since it is definately potent, and has a vinegar-like affect , so use with caution. I also add it to my chili too :) and occasionally when i make lo mein.

Being a vegetarian how do you accumulate the needed fats & oils into your diet? We had a lot of trouble finding foods & recipes rich in these nutritional values.

To be perfectly honest, I dont pay too much attention to it. I eat a lot of the 'fake meat ' products, mostly the morning star farm brand. Although Im a vegetarian, Im not a vegan or a health freak, so I do eat Cheese and other dairy products. Ive been a vegetarian about 20 years and im still breathing, so I guess im doing something right :) Actually, my choleesterol and triglycerides are kinda hi, but im working on it .

Being a vegetarian how do you accumulate the needed fats & oils into your diet? We had a lot of trouble finding foods & recipes rich in these nutritional values.

Omega 3's in ground flax seed that I add daily to oatmeal or scrambles. I cook with olive oil and use extra virgin for dressings. Nuts and seeds are also in my diet daily, small amounts to get those healthy fats.

Being a healthy vegetarian is not difficult, it just takes some interest in educating yourself about getting the right protein, fat and carbs. I cook with lots of lentils, beans, quinoa and loads of veggies. I don't eat to many fake meat products, I also love tofu but only a couple times per week.

I'm looking forward to making some black bean soup later this week! :)

Omega 3's in ground flax seed that I add daily to oatmeal or scrambles.

You do realize, I hope, that the ALA omega 3 fatty acids available from flaxseeds must be converted to EPA, and then DHA, omega 3 fatty acids by your body, and that the efficiency rate for this conversion is somewhere between 5% and 15%, right? That's an awful lot of flaxseed.

Back
Top Bottom