ISO Cabbage Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make a cabbage soup similar to the one PF posted.

I cut the recipe in half and use pre-shredded cabbage.

I use half a bag of shredded cabbage in the soup and the other half for salad.

I like a dollop of sour cream on my bowl please! :pig:

Dinosaur Black Tuscan Cabbage - Cavolo Nero

This Mediterranean cabbage type black leaf green, hails from Alpine Italy and has been flourishing in New York State since the 1980s ( 2 restaurateurs in NYC, smuggled some seeds in ) ...

Have you tried using this cabbage instead of the light celery colored one or curly green cabbage ?

M.C.

Mine more like a stew
Ham hocks or purchase a ham steak and cut it up
onions, garlic
celery, carrots, potatoes
can of crushed tomatoes
cannili beans or Northern beans ( even could use black or kidney or a mixture of all)
salt pepper
thyme , bay leaves
water or chix broth or beef broth
I have use one or the other at times and still comes out great.

on another note--> I have used Italian sausage instead of ham or even ground beef and still comes out great.

Marji, is that the same as the lacinato (Tuscan black kale)? It's sometimes called dinosaur.

If we're talking about the same thing, I grow it every year. But haven't used it to make soup, cuz it's so good by itself as a dark leafy green.

It's kind of interesting that we divide lettuce into heading and non-heading types. But the same sort of thing doesn't apply to the cabbage family. Heading types are cabbages. But related leaf types are kale, collards, etc.

I wound up going with a sort of Russian Cabbage soup. I looked at several of them, took a little from this one and a little from that, added my own touches, and it came out great, particularly now that winter has finally made it to Kentucky.

For anyone interested:

Russian Cabbage Soup

2 lb brisket, in 1/2" cubes
1/4 cup (approx) diced slab bacon
2 cups onion, sliced
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup celery, sliced
6-8 cups beef stock
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
2 medium potatoes, in 1/2" dice
1 head cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup raisins
3 tbls brown sugar
2 tbls cider vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste

Saute bacon until slightly browned. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Saute until onion turns translucent. Add the brisket and brown on all sides. Add the stock and tomatoes.

Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until meat starts turning tender, about 45 minutes. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 30 minutes more.

Add the cabbage, raisins, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook until cabbage is tender. Adjust flavor with additional sugar or vinegar as needed.

How much stock to use will depend on the volume of cabbage. I started with six cups, but, once the cabbage was cooked, had to add two more.

Last edited:
One recipe I looked at suggested serving it on a bed of broad noodles. To me that would make it more of a stew than a soup. But I'm keeping the idea in reserve, as a main-dish if the weather stays cold.

I'm thinking, too, that a little caraway seed wouldn't hurt.

We had the above version for lunch, accompanied by Morrocan Anise Bread. They really went well together.

Dinosaur with Caraway Seeds

Interesting combination. Have to try this ... a stew ... it is cold cold here in early am and at night. The sun warms up Madrid during the day however, those gusts ... Need a hot lunch.

Thanks for the post.
Kindest.
MC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom