ISO Creamy garlic soup recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snack_pack85

Washing Up
I have had some pretty amazing soups in my time but today the DH and I ate at a buffet at the palms resort in the city of Industry and they had the most amazing soup I have ever had. It was called creamy garlic soup and it was delicious. I NEED a recipe for this soup. Can anyone help?:chef:

This is a big favorite in the wintertime. T&T.

Cream of Garlic Soup

makes 16 servings

10 large cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 large yellow onions, chopped
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 quarts hot (whole) milk
4 large all-purpose potatoes, peeled and diced
2 fresh sage leaves
1 bay leaf
Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
6 egg yolks
1 1/3 cups heavy cream (preferably NOT ultra-pasteurized)
2 heads roasted garlic, peeled and separated into cloves
Crôutes

1. Cook garlic and onions in the olive oil in a large covered pan. Let the garlic gently sweat until it is soft, and make sure that it does not brown.
2. Sprinkle the flour over the garlic and onions and continue stirring for 3 minutes until the vegetables appear to be a thick smooth paste. Whisk in the hot milk, add sage, bay leaf, and seasoning, then bring to the boil. Immediately reduce the heat to a mere simmer and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Strain the soup base through a sieve. Pick out the herb leaves, then push through all the vegetable matter. (The soup can be prepared ahead to this point.)
4. Beat the egg yolks and cream together. (Reheat soup base if necessary.) Slowly add 3 or 4 ladles of hot soup to the eggs, then pour the eggs into the soup. Cook over gentle heat, stirring constantly until it thickens slightly. Do not allow to boil. Adjust the consistency with additional milk if necessary to form soup of light cream consistency. Separate and peel the cloves of roasted garlic and add them to the soup. Make sure they are heated through. Adjust seasoning. Serve the soup steaming hot, in mugs or deep bowls, and float a crouton on top. Pass additional croutons in a basket.

Teacher’s Tips: 1. Since the roasted garlic will be heated in the soup, it’s possible to make it a day or two ahead and store it in the refrigerator.
2. If you fail to let the flour mixture cook the full 3 minutes before adding the hot milk your soup will have the unmistakable flavor of raw flour. Although you don’t want your roux to brown, cooking it “enough” is important.
3. Be sure you warm the egg mixture gradually with “just a little” hot soup at a time. If you add the eggs directly to the hot mixture, you’ll cook the eggs, and end up with “omelet soup.”

10 large cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped

you have the garlic listed here as prepped, peeled and chopped, but you list it here again as a final step:

Separate and peel the cloves of roasted garlic and add them to the soup.

could you clear this up for me?

4 large all-purpose potatoes, peeled and diced

Also you never mention what to do with the potatoes. Are they boiled first? Do they go in the saute pan with the onion and garlic? Should they go in first since they take longer to cook?:wacko:

The recipe sounds delicious but I am a bit confused. Thanks!

This soup sounds very interesting ChefJune..

snack_pack, I think the 10 cloves of garlic are roughly chopped with the onion, then at the end, you add roasted garlic to the final product....

My question is.. does the roasted garlic get mushed up into the soup since it's been roasted? Whenever i've roasted garlic, the cloves become like toothepaste.. perhaps I shouldn't bake them as long for this soup..

I also didn't see when to add the potatoes..

Can't wait to try this!!

This soup sounds very interesting ChefJune..

snack_pack, I think the 10 cloves of garlic are roughly chopped with the onion, then at the end, you add roasted garlic to the final product....

My question is.. does the roasted garlic get mushed up into the soup since it's been roasted? Whenever i've roasted garlic, the cloves become like toothepaste.. perhaps I shouldn't bake them as long for this soup..

I also didn't see when to add the potatoes..

Can't wait to try this!!

Hmm, so I need more than 10 cloves? it says to "peel" the garlic twice though...yeah, still confused:ROFLMAO: boy I can be dense sometimes...

I am assuming you'd have to boil the taters and then cook em with the garlic and onion and push all of that into the sieve? I shouldnt assume, I know. I'll wait till I get an answet before I muck the soup up improvising. :)

lol we'll get it figured out snack_pack, one way or another!!!!!

I believe it says to peel the 10 cloves for the chopping, then at the end, it says to roast the 2 heads of garlic, and peel them..

You might be right about pushing the taters though, it did say "vegetables"... LOL...

Lets wait for someone else's opinion.........

LOL you guys youre funny!!!...
I wonder if you add them right before the milk... and let the 'taters cook in the milk?

you have the garlic listed here as prepped, peeled and chopped, but you list it here again as a final step:

could you clear this up for me?

Also you never mention what to do with the potatoes. Are they boiled first? Do they go in the saute pan with the onion and garlic? Should they go in first since they take longer to cook?:wacko:

The recipe sounds delicious but I am a bit confused. Thanks!

Thanks for asking about the potatoes. I don't know how or where they got separated from the method! The cubed potatoes go in with the milk, and cook away.

The roasted garlic is a garnish after the soup is finished. We always separate the cloves (and peel them, and if the soup is to be served by the bowlful, floated just before serving. When we serve the soup from a tureen at the table, a bowl is passed for everyone to help themselves to the roasted garlic to float in the soup.

As a new member, I'm not permitted to post links but one of New Orleans top chefs, Susan Spicer, has a great cream of garlic soup recipe on the gumbopages website. I used to make a very similar soup, except that I used roasted garlic in my version. Try it both ways for variety.

Another great, and somewhat different, cream soup is Five Onion Soup, made with red and yellow onions, leeks, garlic and shallots. You should find several versions on the internet. Pick one you like and give it a try.

TIP: You need good, concentrated, homemade chicken stock as a base for either soup. Canned chicken broth won't do.

Thanks for asking about the potatoes. I don't know how or where they got separated from the method! The cubed potatoes go in with the milk, and cook away.

The roasted garlic is a garnish after the soup is finished. We always separate the cloves (and peel them, and if the soup is to be served by the bowlful, floated just before serving. When we serve the soup from a tureen at the table, a bowl is passed for everyone to help themselves to the roasted garlic to float in the soup.

Thanks so much this sounds terrific, as soon as the dh gets home I'm making it for dinner with my first attempt at home made bread. wish me luck.

Okay, my first try at this didnt go so well. It ended up tasting more like potato than anything. Strange considering I used more garlic than the recipe called for, one less potato too and added a few fresh herbs that werent in the recipe. I did lighten it up a bit, omitting the eggs and half the cream. Instead I went with half milk and half chicken stalk with a little cream. Did the changes I made cause the strong potato flavor?? Please help, I really want to get this right. Thanks!

Okay, my first try at this didnt go so well. It ended up tasting more like potato than anything. Strange considering I used more garlic than the recipe called for, one less potato too and added a few fresh herbs that werent in the recipe. I did lighten it up a bit, omitting the eggs and half the cream. Instead I went with half milk and half chicken stalk with a little cream. Did the changes I made cause the strong potato flavor?? Please help, I really want to get this right. Thanks!

I'm not sure, but possibly.

Whenever I try a new recipe, I always make it strictly "by the book" the first time. Then, when I've decided I like it, I play with it to lighten it up, or change some flavors. I suggest you make it by the recipe before you try modifying it any more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom