ISO creamy tomato soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Was tasked by one of our local Farmer's market vendors to produce for them a cream tomato soup recipe, but without using corn syrup, and adding a bit of cayenne pepper. I came up with a recipe that tastes great, but not like Campbell's Tomato Soup. It is as creamy, and rich, but is decidedly different. So, I'm looking for someting to compare it to. Here's the recipe I came up with.

Goodweed's Creamy Tomato Soup

Ingredients:
15 medium sized tomatoes, blanched , peeled, and diced
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced thin
2 large yellow onions, diced
2 heads garlic, minced
2 tbs. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 yellow bell pepper, finely minced
1 tsp. black pepper
the smallest dash of mace
1/2 cup ap flour, made into a thin slurry
12 oz. condensed milk
2 tbs. cooking oil

Heat oil in a two quart sauce pan. add the carrots, onions peppers, and garlic. Stir over medium-high heat until the onions and carrots just start to carmelize. Remove from heat and set aside.

In the same pan, place 2 cups of water, the salt, and the tomatoes. Simmer for 40 minutes. While the tomatoes are breaking down, run the cooked veggie mixture through the blender to make it ultra smooth. Remove the tomato and drain. Mash the tomato through a fine-mesh sieve to remove the seeds. Add the resultant tomato puree to the blended veggies in the pan. Add the remaining ingredients and add sufficient water to thin into a substantial soup. Correct the seasoning with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

Seeeeeeya; Bob Flowers

I've been making it this summer alot using almost the same ingredients you do, but I don't make a slurry. I cook the tomato and veggie mixture with chicken broth until it is about 1/2 the orginal volume and then I put all of the ingredients in the blender. After, it is blended I add the milk. I peel the tomatoes but I don't seed them because the blender grinds them to a pulp.

If you're going to puree it. why dice things so finely in general? Save yourself the work. A rough chop will be sufficient on most of that. (tomato, carrot, pepper)

The onion and garlic are exceptions in that their flavor intensifies the more they are chopped so if that is the flavor you want, those need the attention.

And I'd have to pass on the flour too. It tends to cut/cloud the flavor intensity, particularly where it isn't going to be cooked well as with a roux.

And for kicks, my neighbor has two cats named bob and flower.

Goodweed, thank you. Looks delicious. And even better with the standard 'grilled cheese' sandwich and gerkin pickle.
But I see condensed milk in list of ingredients, but not in the - when to add part. - When you add the water?

Goodweed, thank you. Looks delicious. And even better with the standard 'grilled cheese' sandwich and gerkin pickle.
But I see condensed milk in list of ingredients, but not in the - when to add part. - When you add the water?

Ahhh, my mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. Add the condensed milk after putting the tomato and vegetable puree's together. I added the water after getting the flavor where I wanted it, which was a little strong. The water diluted it and thinned the soup just right.

Another little trick, if you have the time and the desire, would be to roast all of the veggies on open aluminum foil over charcoal, with the lid on the grill. I would maybe sacrifice a piece of bacon or two to the fire to create some smoke to flavor the veggies. And roast them until they just begin to brown. It should add a great flavor componant to the soup.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North (Now how did I slip and put my real name on that last post?:ohmy: No big deal. my name is no secret around here.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom